5 replies to this topic

#1 bexy88

bexy88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Hi

Got my new tortoise, Lennon a few months ago in October, he was about 3 months old then. I just took him to register with a vet today who weighed him and he is 22g is this average? I havnt got little scales yet but my mum has just bought me some small ones to send to me.

I have also just purchased the 80w Arcadia uvb/heat bulb - is there a certain height above his table this should be positioned? i know it has to hang vertically, his current lightbulb and uv bulb are about 7 inches above him but the size of the clamp lamp means i may have to ajust my bracket.

Some pictures attached

Any comments appreciated thanks x

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

It's good that you are doing your homework, but to be honest your breeder should have given you all this info at the time. Three months is half of the life of a 6 month old, so a lot could have gone wrong in that time to be honest. Did you have papers with Jim to give his exact age. 22 grams is fine if he was around 10 grams on hatching, but not so good if he was 18 grams on hatching if that makes sense. Has he had correct lighting and heat during the time you've had him or is this the first time? Your lamp should be at the height that produces a hot spot of 32 degrees, which your thermometer will show. Are you watering his substrate/ providing water daily? What substrate and depth are you using. He needs to dig right down overnight to maintain hydration ;)

#3 bexy88

bexy88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:16 AM

Information given was limited- my parents picked him up but they said the lighting he had was good andhe was being fed weeds. but he was kept on wood chips - im using top soil on advice from this forum and I water it every other day as well as bathing him for 15 mins in a dish he can now climb in and out of .
He loves digging and climbing - Tho notice when I firstly got him he would dig till invisible where as now he sleeps more on the surface Tho I imagine temperatures are chillier if anything as about 15 degrees inside without my heating at mid winter nights . Have checked his temperatures with lights and it is usually around 30 so that seems to be ok xx

#4 bexy88

bexy88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:17 AM

Checked his papers says hatched 27 July

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

Information given was limited- my parents picked him up but they said the lighting he had was good andhe was being fed weeds. but he was kept on wood chips - im using top soil on advice from this forum and I water it every other day as well as bathing him for 15 mins in a dish he can now climb in and out of .
He loves digging and climbing - Tho notice when I firstly got him he would dig till invisible where as now he sleeps more on the surface Tho I imagine temperatures are chillier if anything as about 15 degrees inside without my heating at mid winter nights . Have checked his temperatures with lights and it is usually around 30 so that seems to be ok xx

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Lennon is gorgeous and tiny, I would just lower your lamp a touch so your getting more 32 in the basking area, it's good you've gone for a soil substrate as wood chips really are no good for tortoises, regarding his weight it is hard to say with out knowing his hatch weight, it's just best that you get the scales from your mam and keep and eye on his weight from now just to make sure he's gaining nice steady weight. :)

#6 bexy88

bexy88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thank you 😊 - everyone who has met him has fallen in love so far . Il see if I can get his hatch weight but if not will just go from now on and ensure I try to get a healthy steady growth rate . My boyfriend is going to put the new Arcadia lamp in this week which will be a bit hotter than the 60w I have at moment so getting 32 should not be a problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users