• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

I have recently got two baby ,6 months Hermann  female tortoises, Tilly and Tia. They are active, pooing, weeing and eating. They enjoy a bath and in fact Tilly seems to like bathing herself in their water bowl!  My concern is that although Tilly was larger originally Ive had them 2 weeks she has lost about 8 g in weight.  I see from another post they only feed alternative days should I do that for mine?  They also don't appear to bury themselves  . They are in a tortoise substrate which is damp underneath the top layer and I spray it too. Thanks for your help .

#2 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

8g seems a lot for one so small. I have 6 month old hatchlings, which are 21g.
How much do they weigh? Are you sure your scales are accurate?

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

I have recently got two baby ,6 months Hermann  female tortoises, Tilly and Tia. They are active, pooing, weeing and eating. They enjoy a bath and in fact Tilly seems to like bathing herself in their water bowl!  My concern is that although Tilly was larger originally Ive had them 2 weeks she has lost about 8 g in weight.  I see from another post they only feed alternative days should I do that for mine?  They also don't appear to bury themselves  . They are in a tortoise substrate which is damp underneath the top layer and I spray it too. Thanks for your help .

As mentioned it will depend on their original weight and if you are using the same scales, which need to be digital and level. 8 gms is far too much to lose in two weeks. I never feed alternative days, it wouldn't happen in nature, just give less each day, so they can still forage and at least find something, albeit a small amount. If they are not burying overnight, the room is too warm. I wouldn't spray the substrate, it needs to be dry on top and damp underneath.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:33 AM

Hi Charlie, welcome to the forum. :)

I feed my hatchlings daily and they still have nice steady growth, I would feed yours every day just a small amount and keep a check on their weights, I would double check Tilly's weight and as said make sure your scales are working right as you need to keep a check on their weights, how much do they both weigh now. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users