• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hi everyone. Sorry to post again but everyone was so helpful in my first thread.

I'm in Canada. I just got my hatchling on Wednesday and I picked up a salad pack of spring mix. A very big tort forum recommended this. These are the ingredients:

Baby lettuces (green and red romaine, red and green oak, tango, lolla rossa, red and green leaf), baby greens (mizuna, arugula, tatsoi, mache, red and green chard, baby spinach), endive and radicchio.

Is this okay to feed? My tort seems to love it.

As I said, I'm in Canada and it's winter. There are absolutely no weeds/flowers available. I am going to buy a seed mix but I'll have to grow inside. I don't have a green thumb at all and there's a very good chance I will kill the plants, lol.

Is the mix of greens good enough? Or should I just buy a few and make my own mix? I was searching through the site here and found a few different types of things recommended:

Romaine

Red and green lettuce

Dandelion greens

Escarole

Endive

Beet greens

Turnip greens

Can I mix a few of these up for my little one to eat?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

Hi,

Some shop bought products are fine to feed short term over winter when weeds are not available, I would avoid any of the mixed salad bags that contain Spinach as this is a no feed, you might find this helpful as it lets you know what can and can't be fed  http://www.thetortoi...p?thissection=8 have a look through it might give you a better idea, here in the UK we haven't had a bad winter it's been quite mild so there's still quite a few weeds about at the minute. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi everyone. Sorry to post again but everyone was so helpful in my first thread.

I'm in Canada. I just got my hatchling on Wednesday and I picked up a salad pack of spring mix. A very big tort forum recommended this. These are the ingredients:

Baby lettuces (green and red romaine, red and green oak, tango, lolla rossa, red and green leaf), baby greens (mizuna, arugula, tatsoi, mache, red and green chard, baby spinach), endive and radicchio.

Is this okay to feed? My tort seems to love it.

As I said, I'm in Canada and it's winter. There are absolutely no weeds/flowers available. I am going to buy a seed mix but I'll have to grow inside. I don't have a green thumb at all and there's a very good chance I will kill the plants, lol.

Is the mix of greens good enough? Or should I just buy a few and make my own mix? I was searching through the site here and found a few different types of things recommended:

Romaine[/size]
Red and green lettuce[/size]
Dandelion greens[/size]
Escarole[/size]
Endive[/size]
Beet greens[/size]
Turnip greens[/size]

Can I mix a few of these up for my little one to eat?

Don't use the beet greens or the turnip ones, they are too high in oxalics and will prevent calcium being absorbed. What is your very big forum? It's ok to say :) there is a very good little book, based on research into tortoise diet. You can find it here www.tortoises.net Its especially good as it's just intended for what a tortoise needs for balanced diet, rather than just telling you what's toxic or what's not. Some sites are good for this, but are more geared to humans and other mammals without taking into account the individual needs of tortoises, based on their physiology. Never order seeds from eBay sellers, they are just commercial concerns however convincing they look. Hope this helps.

#4 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

The site is tortoiseforum.org. I didn't find anyone friendly on there but it's big and there's loads of information. Almost every food related thread I read through on there said simply feed a spring mix.

I do try and pick most of the spinach out. I pick and choose through the mix. It is an organic mix and I chose it because all of the loose greens here, you can't get organic! The only things in my local grocery store that are organic are things like broccoli, carrots, apples etc. No greens. 

I was planning on buying these greens and growing them for a staple? Is something like this okay? I've heard dandelion greens are great for them. I am horrible at growing things but I want to try.

https://www.etsy.com...treated-and-non

But for now, I'm stuck with stuff from the grocery store.

Thanks for the pages. I will definitely do some more research :)

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Most people, well in the US and UK, refer to greens as members of the cabbage family which are a definite no no. Even growing them yourself organically, they won't be a good diet. I have a tortoise that is over 100 years old which was reared by her adoring owner on organic veg, grown just for her. The owner died and the next generation kept her in the same way and when she came to me she behaved like a very old animal. It took three or four years on a decent diet for her to pick up again and now she lays eggs every year, so it's not worth cutting corners, not that you are but its good to know. Dandelions have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio, but alone they are not good, being slightly diuretic. If you are going to grow and weeds, have a look here www.tortoises.net Lin has a lovely seed mix prepared by herbiseed and she also has a wonderful little book with illustrations to help you. Hope this helps.

#6 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

Most people, well in the US and UK, refer to greens as members of the cabbage family which are a definite no no. Even growing them yourself organically, they won't be a good diet. I have a tortoise that is over 100 years old which was reared by her adoring owner on organic veg, grown just for her. The owner died and the next generation kept her in the same way and when she came to me she behaved like a very old animal. It took three or four years on a decent diet for her to pick up again and now she lays eggs every year, so it's not worth cutting corners, not that you are but its good to know. Dandelions have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio, but alone they are not good, being slightly diuretic. If you are going to grow and weeds, have a look here www.tortoises.net Lin has a lovely seed mix prepared by herbiseed and she also has a wonderful little book with illustrations to help you. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure I can order seed mixes internationally. I don't think any seeds/plants can come through the Canadian border... but I will definitely have a look and do some research on her site. Thank you :)

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

Failing that, have a look at the weeds here www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm make a note of them and order the same ones individually in Canada. Good luck.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

http://www.gardening...g-seeds-canada/
This gives a bit of info re importing seeds, hope it helps. If herbiseed won't ship to Canada, I don't mind sending you some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users