• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RyanTort88

RyanTort88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hi guys, I'm really interested in getting a tortoise but just doing some research first so I know I can give the little fella a good home. I have a few questions below if anyone would be kind enough to answer them for me..

1) I currently don't have the room for an outdoor enclosure but will have in a Yeh or 2 maximum, at which age can I purchase a tort and will he be ok on a table for the first couple of years? I see some In millennium pets (Sawbridgeworth) which were 2 yrs and we're really small still.

2) I'm currently successfully maintaining a marine fish tank, how would keeping a tort measure up to that maintenance wise as I hear they are fairly easy to keep with the right research and set up?

3) Can anyone recommend any breeders are the Sawbridgeworth/Essex area?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoises do better been outside from day one really through the warmer months, getting natural sunlight. :)

If kept correct tortoise are not hard to keep and look after as long as the set up is correct with the right temperature ect and a good natural diet is given then their quite easy, this is a good care sheet you might find helpful  http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm and a good one on diet  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm.

Im not sure of any breeders that way, but it would be better if you could find a breeder you might find someone near you on this breeders list  https://www.facebook...le/?ref=browser, hope that helps and if you have any more questions just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

#3 RyanTort88

RyanTort88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. :)
Tortoises do better been outside from day one really through the warmer months, getting natural sunlight. :)
If kept correct tortoise are not hard to keep and look after as long as the set up is correct with the right temperature ect and a good natural diet is given then their quite easy, this is a good care sheet you might find helpful  http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm and a good one on diet  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm.
Im not sure of any breeders that way, but it would be better if you could find a breeder you might find someone near you on this breeders list  https://www.facebook...le/?ref=browser, hope that helps and if you have any more questions just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

Thanks for the information :)

Do you know which one is the better option out of the eastern or western breed? Preferably I would prefer the smaller one.

I keep going to the pet shop and playing with the little guys :) not going to buy from there though after tyr advice off the forum.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

Western subspecies are slightly less hardy than the Eastern subspecies. They are smaller, but not much smaller than the male Eastern subspecies. If a pet shop is letting people handle torts that's not good TBH. There are several breeders of Eatern boettgeris but the hermanni hermanni are pretty hard to come by. Any reason you are looking for the smaller ones?

#5 RyanTort88

RyanTort88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

Western subspecies are slightly less hardy than the Eastern subspecies. They are smaller, but not much smaller than the male Eastern subspecies. If a pet shop is letting people handle torts that's not good TBH. There are several breeders of Eatern boettgeris but the hermanni hermanni are pretty hard to come by. Any reason you are looking for the smaller ones?

Thanks for the reply, Ok it looks like the the Eastern Hermann is the one I'm going to go for.. just need to get my table set up in the next couple of weeks then i will try and find a breeder :) The reason i was asking about the smaller one is because at the moment Im not in the position to provide a permanent outdoor enclosure but i will be in a year - 2 max. In the summer i will be able to provide some outdoor time occasionally. If you was choosing a russian horsefield or an eastern hermann, which would you go for? 

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

To be honest, in the first couple of years there will be no difference in size as they all grow very slowly. It takes ten to fifteen years to reach adult size, so still less than 100 grams at three years old. Russians are a burrowing species and need deep substrate from the outset. Many people keep them like hermanns, but they spend most of their time digging and scratching in corners while young, which of course is stressful and outdoors will frequently disappear. The choice has to be yours in the end, but Russians are not quite as simple to keep and many do escape from gardens each year as they can tunnel several feet. Both species and their care are described here www.tortsmad.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users