• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Talking for Brian the horse field here :) I was just wondering, I need to upgrade his table and still in the process of doing the outside enclosure which is taking a while. I was thinking, it's a lot cheaper. Would it be better to get him an outdoor rabbit run/house temporarily until the outdoor enclosure is finished. How would you heat something like that ? I'll attach some photos of stuff I've found. If not I'll just make him another table myself :)

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:01 AM

Hi,

How old is Brian just so we can get an idea, me personally I don't like these as enclosures I think you would be able to make some thing better yourself, these normally just sit on grass which is no good for a horsfields they need a deep soil area, also I think you would struggle to add a heat source in them as the heights not there, in the 2nd picture the one with the ramp in you'll probably find the tortoise wont even use this and would just hide underneath it. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

Agree, he would spend all his time trying to escape too as he could see through it.

#4 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

Lots of people use sheds and greenhouses with little doors in them for tort access,which seems to be the best. I haven't got this. I got dog kennel from eBay and made a fenced area round it. Covered area with pond net. Make sure kennel roof is high enough to get a lamp in at a suitable height with clearance above it. Theres a frost heater in there aswell. My 1st year so lots to modify yet.

Attached Files

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

I guess I'll have a go at making another temporary table :P thanks for all the advice

How do you go about cables outdoors? If I had a heat bulb outside would the cable b ok exposed outside? Like if the bulb was in a shed and the plug was in the conservatory?

That outdoor enclosure looks really fun but must be a pain to get around for you with all the netting :D if you don't mind me asking, how tall is the kennel?

#6 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:53 AM

Kennel is about 55cm high at apex, light is actually an outdoor security light as I was originally worried about damp in electrics but it is dry inside kennel. The cable goes through window at moment( make sure there is a u bend in cable to stop water running down it to light),we'll probably drill through wall when we're sure were not moving kennel. The green fence at front unhooks and opens like a gate and the black pond netting is on curtain poles and slides back. It's there for dog/ fox/ bird protection. There are some much better set ups than mine if you search 'outdoor enclosures tortoise', but you have to adapt to the area you have in the sunny patch of garden.

#7 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:55 AM

Kennel is about 55cm high at apex, light is actually an outdoor security light as I was originally worried about damp in electrics but it is dry inside kennel. The cable goes through window at moment( make sure there is a u bend in cable to stop water running down it to light),we'll probably drill through wall when we're sure were not moving kennel. The green fence at front unhooks and opens like a gate and the black pond netting is on curtain poles and slides back. It's there for dog/ fox/ bird protection. There are some much better set ups than mine if you search 'outdoor enclosures tortoise', but you have to adapt to the area you have in the sunny patch of garden.

Attached Files

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

Remember too when making outdoor enclosures that the substrate needs to be predominantly soil,
as in the wild ;)

#9 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

Yes, that's older photo, there'll be more soil next year. Sorry forgot to mention that, hoped somebody would come on with better enc. Think the kennel part is OK though?

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yes, that's older photo, there'll be more soil next year. Sorry forgot to mention that, hoped somebody would come on with better enc. Think the kennel part is OK though?

Yes kennel part is great, just make sure wiring is out of reach. Good point about the loop in the wire though. To OP, if you use pond wiring it's quite safe outdoors, just run it through an RCD on the inside to be double safe ;)

#11 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Husband checks electrics, they'll be 100% safe. It's what he does! Apparently PVC can go brittle, so check it regularly but blue or orange cable or rubber cable is best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users