• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

Hi everyone. Not sure if I should be worried or not but I thought I would post...

I have a hatchling Hermanns that's only a few months old. I just noticed that the underside of his shell is soft. It's not horrible but it's noticeable when picking him up. Here's the specs...

50 gallon rubbermaid
100w MVB
Coconut coir/cypress mulch substrate

Numbers seem okay to me? Basking spot of 92-95. Ambient of 80. Humidity hovers right around 70%. I keep the substrate nice and moist (not overly) and I bathe him once a day for 20-30 mins. I mist the entire enclosure once or twice a day.

He eats like a pig. Seems pretty active but he does sleep a lot. I looked up a few threads on here and saw that that's pretty normal for babies...

Is it calcium that's causing this? I haven't used any calcium supplements. I keep a cuttle bone in the enclosure but there's no evidence that he's ever used it. Should I get some calcium powder for him and see if it helps?? If yes, how often should I dust his meals?

#2 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

My experience is that this is normal. As long as it is not too soft. The hardening of the underside normally happens by end of its first year.
Soft belly is a sign of a lack of calcium so is an indicator that something could be wrong. But as I say can be normal in hatchlings.
You need to be feeding a supplement every feed. Just a small amount. I use Newton.

#3 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Nekton

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Hi everyone. Not sure if I should be worried or not but I thought I would post...I have a hatchling Hermanns that's only a few months old. I just noticed that the underside of his shell is soft. It's not horrible but it's noticeable when picking him up. Here's the specs...50 gallon rubbermaid100w MVBCoconut coir/cypress mulch substrateNumbers seem okay to me? Basking spot of 92-95. Ambient of 80. Humidity hovers right around 70%. I keep the substrate nice and moist (not overly) and I bathe him once a day for 20-30 mins. I mist the entire enclosure once or twice a day.He eats like a pig. Seems pretty active but he does sleep a lot. I looked up a few threads on here and saw that that's pretty normal for babies...Is it calcium that's causing this? I haven't used any calcium supplements. I keep a cuttle bone in the enclosure but there's no evidence that he's ever used it. Should I get some calcium powder for him and see if it helps?? If yes, how often should I dust his meals?

With a baby of this age you absolutely must use a supplement when indoors. You also need to water your enclosure rather than spraying as its the underneath that needs to be damp rather than the top. The best calcium D3 IMHO is Nekton MSA available from Amazon, but be sure it's MSA as plain Nekton is for birds Are you sure the shell is soft and not just showing the usual 'give' that is present in all hatchlings up to 12 months or so? This is why you should always pick hatchlings up from side to side and never top to bottom. Don't use cuttlefish as his sole calcium supply as its also high in phosphorous which you don't need. Hope this helps.

#5 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

With a baby of this age you absolutely must use a supplement when indoors. You also need to water your enclosure rather than spraying as its the underneath that needs to be damp rather than the top. The best calcium D3 IMHO is Nekton MSA available from Amazon, but be sure it's MSA as plain Nekton is for birds Are you sure the shell is soft and not just showing the usual 'give' that is present in all hatchlings up to 12 months or so? This is why you should always pick hatchlings up from side to side and never top to bottom. Don't use cuttlefish as his sole calcium supply as its also high in phosphorous which you don't need. Hope this helps.

I have no idea if it's the usual 'give'. This is my first experience with a tortoise. I normally do pick him up from side to side, I just happened to get him from underneath that one time and noticed it.

Is it this Nekton?

http://www.amazon.ca...ords=nekton msa

I only have $20 cash on me until my next paycheck but I can pick a supplement up at Petsmart for now? Is this one okay?

http://www.petsmart...._t=pfm=category

#6 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

Oh, and I'm dusting his food every day or just a few times a week?

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

I have no idea if it's the usual 'give'. This is my first experience with a tortoise. I normally do pick him up from side to side, I just happened to get him from underneath that one time and noticed it.
Is it this Nekton?
http://www.amazon.ca...ords=nekton msa
I only have $20 cash on me until my next paycheck but I can pick a supplement up at Petsmart for now? Is this one okay?
http://www.petsmart...._t=pfm=category

No, that's the bird one. Have a look at uk Amazon, they might ship to you. Where are you, maybe I can send you some. Yes you use daily, the same as any supplement ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users