• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi have nearly got my table ready hopeful get my tortoise not sure which yet a horsefield or hermann next week just wanted other peoples views on it i have also got a all in one bulb just waiting for my terra glow light to arrive what do you think

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi Gary,

Just a couple of things I would change, can you remove the sleeping area at all these don't serve any purpose and are best removed if you can. :)

The only other thing I would remove the shaving substrate as this is no good for tortoises, also I can't really make out what you have in the sleeping area but they don't need any form of bedding just soil, if it's a horsfield you go for you will need deep soil substrate hope that helps a little. :)

#3 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Thanks and the sleeping area is all built in ive done it for somewhere to hide from the kids lol and the chippings in the corner was a different texture to walk on and the soil thats in is about 2inch deep

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:50 AM

Hi Gary,

For a different texture you would be best with just soil an some stones/ slate you could also add some plants like a spider plant, or I have carex grass in mine, in the sleeping area just have soil, you might find if the tortoise goes in there to sleep the next morning she might not wake her self due to not feeling the heat or light from the lamp, but you can see how that goes, for horsfield hatchlings you would need a good 6/8" soil as their a burrowing species and need deep substrate, we look forward to pictures of your new hatchling when you get him/ her. :)

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thanks and the sleeping area is all built in ive done it for somewhere to hide from the kids lol and the chippings in the corner was a different texture to walk on and the soil thats in is about 2inch deep

Horsfields are a burrowing species and really need deep substrate, so a hide area is not suitable at all. If a hermanns they dig under the surface at night, so again a hide is not needed and a decent depth is required to thermoregulate. If you think children may annoy a tortoise, then a mesh lid is more appropriate and shavings can actually kill, for different surfaces, go for something rocky. If buying from the pet trade, it's best to avoid Horsfields as all sorts of diseases are being imported recently..............another reason for the uk to leave the EU lol

#6 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

Thank you i have got rid of the chippings and put the big stone in the water and got some slate in to put food on as i have read that its good for there beak and nails and i wasnt to sure whats plants to put in but if spider plants are safe then i will but them in and i will be making it deeper and it is just a temp table till i build my 2 tier corner one
Thanks

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Sorry to sound negative but two tier tables don't really work sadly. They don't allow enough high light levels and are not well tolerated by torts.

#8 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

A little update on my tortoise table i think the layout is better just but what would be good plants to put in also i had the light on for about 1hour to try and get the right temp i have got it about 26 - 30 under the lamp and around 16 - 20 at the other end are these temps about right

Thanks

#9 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

It is a 3ft x 2ft table

Attached Files

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

A little update on my tortoise table i think the layout is better just but what would be good plants to put in also i had the light on for about 1hour to try and get the right temp i have got it about 26 - 30 under the lamp and around 16 - 20 at the other end are these temps about right
Thanks

Your temps need to be higher, 30-32 is right, they will move out of the hot spot if it's too hot, but can't get any warmer if it's too cold. The cool end is fine, with no heat overnight ;) It's nigh on impossible to grow plants in a tortoise table. You do need to water the substrate, but tort will just trash it. Have you found a good breeder?

#11 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

I will lower the light abit more and would keep it as it is then and ive been talking to a breeder in sheffield of horsefield

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

I will lower the light abit more and would keep it as it is then and ive been talking to a breeder in sheffield of horsefield

Ohh could that be Martin :) You won't get better advice than his :)

#13 garywomack1986

garywomack1986

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Yeah thats him

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

Yeah thats him

Well done. Tell him Sue sends her regards to him and Joce ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users