• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nifenjer

Nifenjer

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:11 AM

I am struggling to find anyone who agrees on what to feed a hermann's tortoise. One published care book says carrots and occasional fruit. However,on here and several other forums, everyone says different stuff. Who is right? I am feeding my tortoise kale with a few bits of carrots thrown in. I have fed him Brussel sprouts. I just bought squash, bell peppers and collard greens based on what I read in a book was okay to feed him. Is it wrong? I am growing frustrated with how every person has a different opinion of what is okay to feed them. I am trying to figure out if this is an issue of preference or real danger to the tortoise. Can anyone point me to an actual book vetted by actual veterinarians whose care they agree with?

Thanks.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

When unsure what advice to take, always try to think of what they would have in the wild, so no carrots, fruit (including bell peppers) Brussels sprouts or any other member of the cabbage or brassica family. Collared greens, cabbage etc contain high levels of oxalic acid which stops calcium being absorbed to the bones and tortoises have high calcium requirements. There are lots of books and advice out there, but sadly anyone can put that advice out and sadly again the Internet is full of so called 'experts'. Go with the advice of long established organisations such as the Tortoise Trust for dietry info or that of Long Term Breeders, who have had success over decades. There is a wonderful little book available here www.tortoises.net written by a long term breeder who has studied their natural diet, both alone and with the tortoise trust and who is also a long term breeder. There are groups geared to what is toxic or not, but these are not actually telling you what is a good diet for a tortoise to thrive on for its entire life, despite giving that idea to the beginner. I'd not be too worried about what vets think, as the vast majority are not familiar with the correct diet and I do know of one exotics vet who uses vivariums up to five years of age and feeds fruit, cabbage, peas etc. They may well be best versed to treat a sick tortoise, but are not usually too good at preventing the problems in the first place if you get my drift. Without appearing to be rude, for your tortoise to thrive, you could do with changing his diet quite soon. Hope this helps :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

I am struggling to find anyone who agrees on what to feed a hermann's tortoise. One published care book says carrots and occasional fruit. However,on here and several other forums, everyone says different stuff. Who is right? I am feeding my tortoise kale with a few bits of carrots thrown in. I have fed him Brussel sprouts. I just bought squash, bell peppers and collard greens based on what I read in a book was okay to feed him. Is it wrong? I am growing frustrated with how every person has a different opinion of what is okay to feed them. I am trying to figure out if this is an issue of preference or real danger to the tortoise. Can anyone point me to an actual book vetted by actual veterinarians whose care they agree with?

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

As you've found out there is a lot of different advice out there, and as already said anyone can write a book or start a forum or face book group and give out bad advice on diet and care, the best diet to feed your tortoise is a natural diet of weeds and plants, the book Sue's talking about is great for people to use as a guide, and you might also find this helpful. :)   http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users