• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Humper

Humper

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

I have a Leopard tortoise who has not been eating very well for the last couple or three months, we moved house in November and prior to this she was fine, we have moved from just a plain flag courtyard into a house with a garden and lawn, she doesn't seem to be losing weight, she hasn't had a poo for about 2 to 3 weeks and that was only when I put her in a sink of water, also when she comes out of her vivarium she just tends to go and sit under a radiator or into a corner somewhere .
Any info would be most welcome

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

Hi there. Firstly leopards are not suited to vivarium life for many reasons and it's generally only a matter of time before things start to go wrong. How big is she and what are you feeding her and using as a substrate? She is likely looking for a decent substrate which she's not going to find on the house floor.

#3 Humper

Humper

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Thank you for your response.
There are no doors on the vivarium so she can get in and out as often as she wants, she is about 8 or 9 years and I weighed her yesterday and she came in just under 3 kg she has a varied diet of fruit, spinach,broccoli,carrots, cauliflower,kale,cabbage all with a dry hay which includes dandelions, she is as I type outside sunbathing, I have seen her eating the grass.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

At this size she really needs a large insulated outdoor enclosure with deep soil to dig scrapes as in nature. There's no short cut I'm afraid and these large African species are very expensive to keep long term. You should never feed Leos spinach, broccoli, cauliflower or carrots as these will stop them from taking up calcium to the bones and upset the gut. Her diet should be 80% mixed grasses, which you can buy in chopped hay form for winter, but don't just give meadow hay, this can be very low in nutrients. She really needs to graze outdoors and have her own outdoor building. I used to keep Leos but rehomed them as they needed much more ground than I could offer them sadly, my whole lawn would not have been enough for a full grown leopard tortoise. It's still there made from mixed grasses though as testament to them Do you have photographs of her at all? Does she walk high on tip toes? What are you supplementing her diet with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users