1 reply to this topic

#1 nzflorin

nzflorin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

Hi everyone

After following the advice I was given recently on this forum, I removed all the grass and hay from my tortoises enclosure today and replaced it with topsoil, I also added a small amount of Playsand.  I have also read that pit gravel can be used to assist with drainage.  On checking the stores that sell gravel and googling pit gravel in New Zealand, apparently no one I spoke to has heard of it and I can't get it in NZ.  I did find gravel which comprises of small uneven greyish stones it was labelled as 6mm, and  I was told it assisted in drainage.  I am wondering if that would suffice? And if so how much should I add? I added 80 kgs of topsoil and 9 kilos of play sand. 

I would also like to add a heat source in the Cold frame that I have put in my tortoises outdoor enclosure but as I don't have an electrical source that can go outside, can anyone let me know what they have used? is there any tubular heat source that I can put into the coldframe that runs off batteries?. Thanks for any responses that I might receive to this.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

If you use gravel, make sure it's under the top layer and bear in mind it will work its way to the top. Tortoises will eat stones and if sharp they can do damage, but generally what goes in one end 'should' work its way through. I would not have added sand personally as commercial stuff can be very sharp and irritate eyes, so just put a small layer of soil on top until it's weathered more. You would have to add electrics to the outdoor area to run a lamp or tube unless you have any solar powered alternatives. It's pretty easy to add outdoor wiring really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users