2 replies to this topic

#1 Leafy2015

Leafy2015

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hello,

My lovely Madam Tortue has been hibernating since the 3rd week of Nov and this morning she is awake. Can they go back to sleep or should I go with the waking up procedures?

She is an outside tortoise ( in France) and she has hibernated in a spare bedroom in my house- don't worry I have no central heating and the window ajar. The temp has raised outside a bit but with still frost over night. It is far to cold for her to go outside, in another 4 weeks it would be a different story.

Any advice would be grateful.

Thank you

#2 Leafy2015

Leafy2015

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

I've just answered my own question! I've just been to see her again and she is properly awake so will go with the waking up steps.

How long should she be in a warm bath for?

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

Hello,
My lovely Madam Tortue has been hibernating since the 3rd week of Nov and this morning she is awake. Can they go back to sleep or should I go with the waking up procedures?
She is an outside tortoise ( in France) and she has hibernated in a spare bedroom in my house- don't worry I have no central heating and the window ajar. The temp has raised outside a bit but with still frost over night. It is far to cold for her to go outside, in another 4 weeks it would be a different story.
Any advice would be grateful.
Thank you

No, never let them go back to sleep, this can be fatal. When they wake the liver gives the body a glycogen boost to help it get going and once this is gone it won't return until after the next summer season. You will just have to keep her awake now with lamps until the warmer weather. A puppy pen might suffice, but if she is wanting to escape, you might have to pen an area off for her until a month or so. Soak her in a warm bath for as long as she likes. They usually pass urates or other waste during this time as they take on fresh water. Don't over feed at first, just a small amount each day until the system gets going again ;) Good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users