1 reply to this topic

#1 nzflorin

nzflorin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:42 AM

Hi everyone

Firstly, I must thank again, the moderator of this forum for such quick replies.  I really appreciate your help.

Today, I went out and bought some grasses to put into the outdoor enclosure.  A mixture of Carex and Fescue.  As they are store bought, I asked the owner how long it would take for the fertilizer or any sprays to leave the plant so that it'd be safe for my tortoise.  She said two weeks.  The garden centre does not spray the plants, but she couldn't comment on the nursery that sent them.  When I got the plants home, I got each plant out of it's container, spent a long time hosing it down to get rid of all the soil and expose the roots.  I then planted them in organic potting soil, to sit for a couple of weeks outside.  After that I would like to plant them straight into the substrate or place them in the containers, into my outdoor enclosure.  I washed the actual plant as well as the roots really well. Also did the same with some coleus that has been inside for around 6 weeks and the woman at the garden centre said they would be fine to feed to my toroise as in six weeks any fertiliser or spray would have gone. So I need to ask is the above procedure okay to ensure all is safe with the grasses plus my plants that I have indoors. I did the same with a pansy. If not what is a safe procedure.

Thanks again,

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

I always play safe and only allow torts to eat new growth from any plants. I'm afraid the person at the garden centre would probably not be qualified to give advice as to what may be lingering in the plants leaves and flowers and I would err on the side of caution if it was me. I would certainly leave it longer than two weeks though. Pansies grow very quickly and grasses would be less likely to be eaten if this helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users