• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hayleyjane

hayleyjane

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

Just wanted to get a second opinion on my Harvey, he's only 6 months old and seems to be doing fine in my opinion, and the vet has seen him a couple of times and been happy with him. But being a first time owner I'm not sure if he's looking 'normal' !

Attached File  Harv bum.jpg   64.45KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Harv front.jpg   83.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Harvey.jpg   45.32KB   0 downloads

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:34 PM

Why has he been to the vet? He is showing signs of pyramiding, due to incorrect diet and substrate and possibly humidity levels. What is the matting you are keeping him on? The cress you are feeding is actually rapeseed and will stop calcium being taken up by the bones. He needs to be on soil or damp coir, so that he can dig in to prevent dehydration. Did your breeder not give you a care sheet? This is one of my six month olds, showing the shape they should be, with smooth shell with no raised edges. Is this what you mean?

Attached Files

#3 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

This is one of my 6 month old's. Attached File  2015-12-18 11.37.25.jpg   67.63KB   0 downloads

#4 hayleyjane

hayleyjane

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

He was treated for a runny nose a few months ago, but seems to be fine now and hasn't had any further problems. Ah! Yes that's exactly what I was hoping for thankyou, he's on reptile carpet at the moment as recommended by the vet because he was worried about Harv trying to eat his previous substrate, but that can be easily replaced with something more moist. The care sheet I received was fairly brief but I do make sure he has calcium dust on his food at least every other day, and a bath regularly to prevent dehydration. Just ordered a bigger water dish for him so he can't avoid it while he's on his ventures around his box, thanks for the heads up :) What substrate do you use?

Hayley

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

No offence but I'd change the vet, all torts taste their substrate and then move on. So long as it's safe substrate that's fine. He needs to be able to dig in though. You need to add a supplement daily at this stage and one that includes d3 such as Nekton MSA or nutrobal. Calcium alone is not enough for a growing tortoise. Soil or coir are the best substrates for thermoregulation.

#6 hayleyjane

hayleyjane

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

Nutrobal is what I use, he loves the taste of it. Alrighty thankyou :) I was concerned about pyramiding but the vet's all clear made me wonder if I was just worrying about nothng, I'll look into getting him some soily substrate over the weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users