1 reply to this topic

#1 nzflorin

nzflorin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hi everyone

I am a tad concerned about my Tortoise that I have now had for around 5 weeks. Throughout the time he's been with me he has lost weight from 274 grams to 270 grams.  I have mentioned him before on this website, and explained how he has been bought up on mixed veges (ie. frozen corn, peas, and beans), and fresh greens such as mesculin.  He does have slight pyramiding and from the time I got him I have changed his indoor enclosure to soil as a substrate, the breeder had told me to just use artifical grass.  He was kept outside by the breeder and lived on a grass substrate, has already hibernated once.  I have also mainly left him outside  in an enclosure that has had the grass removed soil put in and there have been a few changes in his enclosure such as adding plants and a small doghouse.  He has definitely to coin a phrase, "really started to come out of his shell" as he has started walking around his outdoor enclosure quite a lot esp to check out any changes that I have done.  I have been told that he is too heavy for a 2 year old.  He does not eat a great deal of food, but he does eat most days.  I am feeding him a mixture of Puha, dandelion, catsear, fushia, aloe, little bit of watercress, kale, and grapevine leaves.  He doesn't mind being hand fed at times, so I think is starting to trust me. Do I need to worry about the weight loss? He never eats all his food, but then I could be giving him too much.  How often should I feed him during the day and how much? He's been looked at by my vet, as I took him in for a check over, and as I am my vet said he is looking good, slight pyramiding but nothing to worry about.  I intend to over winter him, as I am thinking that for his first year with me, getting probably stressed with the travel to get to me, change of ownership, change of food and weight loss it woould not be a good idea to let him hibernate.  What do others think of that train of though? thanks

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

If he's leaving food then yes, it's probably too much. Does he have a lighter coloured growth line above the marginal scutes? If so this should be just like a fine pencil line and no thicker. 4 grams could easily be a poo or a pee and considered negligible. If he is more active than in his previous home, then he won't be raining weight which is a good thing. I would not hibernate him for this First year with you, but keep feeding to a minimum, aiming for no actual weight gain, to assist in better shell growth. Keep up the supplements and hydration though during this time. Hope this helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users