Safe To Leave A Bit Longer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

I was going to get my two-year olds up this weekend but wondered whether it's safe to leave them a bit longer as the weather has turned so cold again? They went into the fridge on 02 Jan after three weeks wind down so will have been in 10 weeks this Sat. I last weighed them a week ago - Custard had lost 2g overall since she went in the fridge (current weight 188g) and Roobarb had lost 5g (now 174g). Neither has urinated, both are responsive to touch.

The guidance says max 8 weeks for the second hibernation so they have already been down an extra 2 weeks (but are large for their age). Should I get them up as planned (they will go into their heated greenhouse where night temps can still go down to 7-8 degrees, but I have a ceramic heat emitter I can put over their sleeping area) or is it safe to leave them where they are for another couple of weeks?

As usual, any guidance gratefully received,

Chris

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

Your fridge is obviously a little on the dry side. Do you have a bowl of water in there and is the substrate ever so slightly damp? Not sure what guide you are using but anything less than 8 weeks is not really considered hibernation and as for different times for first, second and third hibernation, I would think this us just someone's guess work than any scientific plan. Your first port of call, I would say is to increase your humidity, when you should see no further weight loss at all. Once this is OK, yes they will be fine for another couple of weeks at that size. Hope this helps.

#3 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your advice. There is water in a bowl in the fridge but the substrate in the hibernation box does feel a bit dry so have dampened it slightly and will leave for another two weeks - so 12 weeks in all.

Regards,

Chris

PS: The guidance on length of hibernation is taken from the front page of this site.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling