• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

I am redoing my outdoor enclosure over the next couple of weeks, planning to get rid of more of the grass and trees and plant some shrubs.  Does anyone have issues with cats with all the soil in the enclosure? I don't really want to create an enormous toilet!

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Hi, Janna,

Yes, cats can be a problem with all the soil in an enclosure. Trouble is, you can't really use chemical repellants as they may harm your tortoise. You can try planting some coleus around; they're known as scaredy-cat-plants as moggies don't like the odour they give off. Downside of this is that torts like to eat them, so they don't last long!

I've tried allsorts, but I've resigned myself to having to clear up the cat's unwelcome offerings each morning before my tortoise emerges for the day.

Toying with the idea of purchasing a twelve-bore shotgun, and then claiming senile dementia in my guilty plea.

#3 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

Has anyone tried planting marigolds around the outside of the enclosure?  They're supposed to repel cats, but I don't know how much of a barrier they provide.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

I could hire out my greyhound X standard poodle in exchange for a couple days holiday lol. She's very fast and bright enough to look innocent when faced with a charge :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:55 AM

Hi, Janna,

Yes, cats can be a problem with all the soil in an enclosure. Trouble is, you can't really use chemical repellants as they may harm your tortoise. You can try planting some coleus around; they're known as scaredy-cat-plants as moggies don't like the odour they give off. Downside of this is that torts like to eat them, so they don't last long!

I've tried allsorts, but I've resigned myself to having to clear up the cat's unwelcome offerings each morning before my tortoise emerges for the day.

Toying with the idea of purchasing a twelve-bore shotgun, and then claiming senile dementia in my guilty plea.

:lol:  This made me laugh, cat's are a pain we have a few around here, I tried planting Coleus but it didn't do any thing as the torts ate it before it had chance. :)

#6 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

Sounds like pooh patrol is my short term option then. While I wait for the Coleus and marigolds to grow, I'm not sure a shot gun is such a great plan, I was gently removed from an archery session on holiday once after missing the target and spearing a cactus on the other side of the road. Greyhound/poodle cross sounds a fabulous mix.  Maybe this is my opportunity to get a pooch! I may get my daughters creating a scarecat.  Ponder ponder.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:56 AM

Lol, she's a brilliant dog, not a curl in sight though, but brains on a greyhound is a good idea ROTFL. Only found out the mix via a DNA test when it all fell into place :) those heron scares attached to hosepipe are good for torty protection, they spray a jet of water each time an animal approaches the area. Cats wouldn't like that :)

#8 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

There are water sprays/sprinklers that are on a motion sensor that might be of interest...

As long as no one is in the habit of sneaking back into the house in the early morning - it might also scare off unwanted cats...

This is actually kind of funny...and the cats are learning to avoid it too...might have to move it around...

#9 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

I thinkI need to get one of those for my children! They would love it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users