8 replies to this topic

#1 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hello all,

Now the weather is getting better its time to make my torts (Bob) outside enclosure,

he is now 1 1/2 years old and only goes in the garden when me or the wife are out with him.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about it, I have seen some amazing set ups you all have so the build is not my concern, will be about 5x7ft long but can extend longways if needed, I also wont to leave my self room for building a hide with heat at a later date.

can anyone recommend some flowers I can put in there as I have depleted our weed sources because of a unsuccessful hibernation ( only managed 2 weeks),

also I would love some recommendations on other plants I can have in my garden he can eat as I'm re-planting about 50% of it over the next couple of weekends

Thank you all.

Gareth  

I

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

Hi, Gareth,

With regards to plants for the enclosure, there's plenty of good advice and recommendations available for you to read over.

If you look at the 'Suitable Foods' section of this forum, you'll see plenty there; and there's also an excellent website  http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk with a huge database of weeds and plants, and a downloadable booklet of edible weeds and flowers for the enclosure.

Hope this is of some help to you.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

Hello all,

Now the weather is getting better its time to make my torts (Bob) outside enclosure,

he is now 1 1/2 years old and only goes in the garden when me or the wife are out with him.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about it, I have seen some amazing set ups you all have so the build is not my concern, will be about 5x7ft long but can extend longways if needed, I also wont to leave my self room for building a hide with heat at a later date.

can anyone recommend some flowers I can put in there as I have depleted our weed sources because of a unsuccessful hibernation ( only managed 2 weeks),

also I would love some recommendations on other plants I can have in my garden he can eat as I'm re-planting about 50% of it over the next couple of weekends

Thank you all.

Gareth  

I

Hi Gareth,

You could have things like pansy, viola, forget-me-not, lavatera, rose, hollyhock, hibiscus, campanula, Geranium, there's a few to get you started, if you look at the link Graham has give you there's loads more on there. :)

#4 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks all that would be a grate help.

i got out for a couple of hours today and started planning out his new enclosure, going to dig down a foot and put chicken wire down with a weed matting under because i have an infestation of a bulb plat ( last people who had the house planted loads of them and they spared like wild fire, every time i dig them out there are 20 tiny new bulbs, thinking of getting a Guiney pig to eat them lol)

I'm also contemplating either making a brick wall or wood have not decided yet, will be the foot down then going up two feet above ground. any ideas would be helpful.

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

Brick every time, Gatz, if you've got the time and resources. It doesn't rot, won't get blown down in the wind, and will last for many years.

I built Harry's house out of brick some years ago, and it's still as solid as the day I completed it.

Harrys_House%20003_zpsjgfq47t3.jpg

• Rue likes this

#6 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

That is totally adorable!

You are all giving me great (and doable) ideas.

I always wanted to try my hand at bricklaying... :)

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

Thanks all that would be a grate help.

i got out for a couple of hours today and started planning out his new enclosure, going to dig down a foot and put chicken wire down with a weed matting under because i have an infestation of a bulb plat ( last people who had the house planted loads of them and they spared like wild fire, every time i dig them out there are 20 tiny new bulbs, thinking of getting a Guiney pig to eat them lol)

I'm also contemplating either making a brick wall or wood have not decided yet, will be the foot down then going up two feet above ground. any ideas would be helpful.

Don't forget bulbs are also toxic to guineapig so as well as torts :(

#8 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

That brick work looks really good, im not going to be building a hide for him yet this year as i will have to lay wiring under the patio then install a outside plug inside the hide for the heat and light, i will be bringing him in at night and on cold days in till I can get the time and money to do that.

i think i will make it out of wood this year as I am still undecided on what size his enclosure will be. I can’t let him have free range of my garden as I have a cat and a 3 year old who would pester him all day, so will have to build something with a wire lid like the table I have in side because the cat preferred to use that rather than his cat litter tray. 

#9 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

so a quick update on haw bobs new home is going.

i origanly built it out of wood but it fell over ( I'm no good at building out of wood) so I opted to make it out of breeze blocks, with chicken wire under.

tomorrow I will be going out to get the topsoil and plants then on the weekend I will set about making a lid for it.

just trying to find some plants that wont get devoured within a matter of days as bob has had to go on a diet as he is growing to much due to over wintering. (5g in 3 weeks and he is only 1 1/2 years old)

I have a little plan on how I wont it to eventually look, would love some feed back on it before I go out and get it all.

thanks

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users