• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Hi have a plastic dog kennel with a bottom that I am planning on sinking and adding a depth of soil so that Ben can burrow  to sleep - he has been in a raised hutch with paper previous to us adopting him.  How deep should I make the soil. (He is 40 years old)

I am going to put it within a perspex green house which will have a basking light area, should I make the green house as big as possible and plant it up like his outside enclosure? Or is it better to leave it plain.  Also is it better to have his water bath in the greenhouse bit or outside?

Many thanks for your expertise. J

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:41 PM

Brilliant idea. Make it as deep as you like, or just remove the bottom. Med species only go just below the surface so it's just a matter of digging in rather than burrowing. You can plant the greenhouse with low growing shrubs etc. It works better with large greenhouses as it builds up a better microclimate for plants. His water can be either in or out, it doesn't matter. Good luck.

#3 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thanks so much.  I really want to get it right for him this time. Hope to get it finished before he wakes up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users