Photo

Help! Odd Pooh, Shell Concerns, Lamp Advice And Mail Order Issues!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Ben (40+) woke up this week he did his first pooh today and it is clear jelly with yellow spoldges - is this a normal post hibernation pooh?

He has had daily baths (3rd day awake ) and is very lively, but hasn't drunk yet.  We adopted him in September and have never actually seen him physically drink,  - I soak his leaves in water.  Does this all sound normal?

Since doing lots of research whilst he has been asleep I have noticed some things that maybe I need  to be concerned about.

An area of his shell under his chest is damaged - flaked off.

And his shell isn't totally smooth - maybe pyramiding in one or two areas.  I am don't have the knowledge to know if this is something I should be worried about or if there is anything I can do.  How can I attach pictures?

I have found a  stockists for lamps that I can get to tomorrow, Is this what I need? which is the best option:-

http://www.molevalle...h/go?w=pig lamp

I have ordered some seeds and supplements from shelled warriors a month ago and they did not arrive, I emailed and they said they resent, but they have not arrived either.  Their feedback seems good, am I just unlucky, or has anyone else had issues?

Thank you so much for sharing you expertise.  I am trying to learn quickly!!

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

You need to post pics, both of the poo and your tortoise showing damaged areas. How are you keeping him ie substrate, size of habitat, feeding, heating, lighting. How did you keep him prior to hibernation and was he wound down properly over a month beforehand. The poo is not normal and to be honest he should not have anything inside him to pass. If he went to sleep with food inside him this can lead to septicaemia and other problems. Buying seeds now will provide food for later in the year, not now as they need to mature and become fibrous before feeding. The only seeds I recommend are the Tladys mix, found here www.tortoises.net under the diet section. There is also a link here www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm this mix is formulated by someone who has studied tortoises in their natural habitat and based the mix on a good balanced diet for tortoises and not just lots of plants that are none toxic. There are many plants that are none toxic but they are not necessarily part of a good tortoise diet. Hope this helps

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

Ben (40+) woke up this week he did his first pooh today and it is clear jelly with yellow spoldges - is this a normal post hibernation pooh?

He has had daily baths (3rd day awake ) and is very lively, but hasn't drunk yet.  We adopted him in September and have never actually seen him physically drink,  - I soak his leaves in water.  Does this all sound normal?

Since doing lots of research whilst he has been asleep I have noticed some things that maybe I need  to be concerned about.

An area of his shell under his chest is damaged - flaked off.

And his shell isn't totally smooth - maybe pyramiding in one or two areas.  I am don't have the knowledge to know if this is something I should be worried about or if there is anything I can do.  How can I attach pictures?

I have found a  stockists for lamps that I can get to tomorrow, Is this what I need? which is the best option:-

http://www.molevalle...h/go?w=pig lamp

I have ordered some seeds and supplements from shelled warriors a month ago and they did not arrive, I emailed and they said they resent, but they have not arrived either.  Their feedback seems good, am I just unlucky, or has anyone else had issues?

Thank you so much for sharing you expertise.  I am trying to learn quickly!!

Hi,

It would help to post some pictures, to do this when you reply click on the more reply options then add files, or you can upload pictures through a host like photobucket. :)

This is where I get my seeds from, I wouldn't buy them any where else  :wink:  http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#4 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

Thank you so much for your help.

He belonged to my gran and great Aunt who found him in the garden in the 70's he fitted in the palm of her hand. He foraged the garden, and was given cucumber and ice berg lettuce. He lived predominantly on grass, slept in a wooden box with newspaper.  He had never been inside, had a heat lamp etc.

We have had him since the end of August, when I spent a lot of time on the internet and realised that there is so much more that he needs.

We have been making an enclosure for the times that we are not in the garden with him, I hope to finish it today.  We are building a green house where the kennel is.  Will sink the kennel into the soil so he can dig down into it and getting a lamp - if anyone has time to look at the link in the original post and can advice as to the best one, that would be very helpful.

We are replacing the 6ft panels with 4ft ones so he gets the evening sun as well. Then will finish planting up.

I have rosemary, hebe, lavatera, thyme and lots of teazels and dandilions to put in.  There will be a tortoise sized door from the green house to the enclosure. And permenant wood round the bottom of the fence so he can' see the rest of the garden.  He will spend the majority of the time in the main garden, but will have the enclosure for early mornings, and times we can't supervise him.

My Great Aunt said he normally woke up in April, hence the enclosure being completed this weekend. She hibernated him in a box in the shed. She lives further north than us though, and we had a very mild day on Wednesday and real sunshine on Thursday.

I wound him down as advised on here.  He hibernated in a box in the log cabin. We are building a back porch to house a tortoise fridge this summer ready for next year.

We are trying our very best to make the rest of his life as good as we can, but there is so much to learn, and we want to get it right.

He has been basking under a normal desk lamp daily and spent some time in his enclosure since waking up on Thursday.  He has had daily baths.

I did find this reference to the strange jelly stuff yesterday, could this be relevant?

http://www.tortoise-...30.asp?tID=1942

Sorry for the  epic post.  I will post pictures of the underside of his shell later.  I have attached a few from last autumn. So you can see his shape, face and shell.  Which isn't as smooth as I think it should be.  Thank you both so much for your time and help. J

Attached Files

#5 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

Some photos of his shell.Attached File  IMG_9944.JPG   28.4KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0007.JPG   37.03KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0008.JPG   62.44KB   0 downloads

#6 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

Some photos of his shell.Attached File  IMG_9944.JPG   28.4KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0007.JPG   37.03KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0008.JPG   62.44KB   0 downloads

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

Thank you so much for your help.
He belonged to my gran and great Aunt who found him in the garden in the 70's he fitted in the palm of her hand. He foraged the garden, and was given cucumber and ice berg lettuce. He lived predominantly on grass, slept in a wooden box with newspaper.  He had never been inside, had a heat lamp etc.
We have had him since the end of August, when I spent a lot of time on the internet and realised that there is so much more that he needs.

We have been making an enclosure for the times that we are not in the garden with him, I hope to finish it today.  We are building a green house where the kennel is.  Will sink the kennel into the soil so he can dig down into it and getting a lamp - if anyone has time to look at the link in the original post and can advice as to the best one, that would be very helpful.
We are replacing the 6ft panels with 4ft ones so he gets the evening sun as well. Then will finish planting up.
I have rosemary, hebe, lavatera, thyme and lots of teazels and dandilions to put in.  There will be a tortoise sized door from the green house to the enclosure. And permenant wood round the bottom of the fence so he can' see the rest of the garden.  He will spend the majority of the time in the main garden, but will have the enclosure for early mornings, and times we can't supervise him.

My Great Aunt said he normally woke up in April, hence the enclosure being completed this weekend. She hibernated him in a box in the shed. She lives further north than us though, and we had a very mild day on Wednesday and real sunshine on Thursday.

I wound him down as advised on here.  He hibernated in a box in the log cabin. We are building a back porch to house a tortoise fridge this summer ready for next year.

We are trying our very best to make the rest of his life as good as we can, but there is so much to learn, and we want to get it right.

He has been basking under a normal desk lamp daily and spent some time in his enclosure since waking up on Thursday.  He has had daily baths.
I did find this reference to the strange jelly stuff yesterday, could this be relevant?
http://www.tortoise-...30.asp?tID=1942

Sorry for the  epic post.  I will post pictures of the underside of his shell later.  I have attached a few from last autumn. So you can see his shape, face and shell.  Which isn't as smooth as I think it should be.  Thank you both so much for your time and help. J

You are doing a great job of attempting to change the rest of his life. As you can see he has been surviving as opposed to thriving, but in a better way than some. He looks to have plenty of weight on him, so that's good. The jelly stuff isn't poo but old urates. They look the way they do due to lack of water. The shell damage is old shell rot. I would treat it anyway in case there is still any active shell rot deeper down. Treating it with povidone iodine, sometimes under the name of videne, will help new shell to regenerate. You can get this from the chemist and it needs to be diluted to the colour of weak tea, so around .one part videne to five/ten parts water. Scrub the area with this daily until you see new growth appearing. Could take a couple of months. Re the lamp, if you have a farm supplies place near to you they will sell pig lamps and clear infra red bulbs which are excellent. You don't need uvb outside, so don't be talked into getting reptile lamps. Homebase and Wilkos also sell large screw in spot bulbs suitable for outdoor use. The ridges and bumps in his shell are just due to incorrect periods of care but his overall shell shape is fine, so not a cause to worry. I was going to express concern re his grass eating as hermanns don't digest grass well, but I see he is a graeca species which do eat some grass, so that's fine. He's going to have a better life from now on. Just be sure your fencing to the original garden has no gaps at the bottom, as if there is a tiny gap it will soon become a big one once he finds it. They are great escape artists lol

#8 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thank you so so much.

I went to the farm supplies shop and they recommended a chick lamp:-

http://www.brinsea.c...&product_id=587

Is that suitable?

He scaled the stonewall last year and was off towards the woods, so we are being very careful with the boundary!

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

No, that's no good at all. He needs to be able to reach a temperature of 30-32 degrees, so an overhead lamp is needed. That is also far too small for an adult tortoise and if he were to touch the heat plate it could burn him. Tortoises are cold blooded, unlike chicks so need to bask to take up heat. Chick brooders only slightly warm the air around chicks and their warm blood does the rest. This is what you need, but with a clear bulb not a red one. It will cost less from a farm outlet than a pet one too http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B007YLL7JG

#10 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

You're doing a fab job so far, Janna, you've obviously done your homework and are dedicated to getting your tort back to health. Take Sue's advice, she knows exactly what she's talking about.
Keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to hearing of Ben's new and happy life.

#11 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

Thank you so much.  Back to the farm shop today! They were adament it was for tortoises. I did question it, but they said it was recommended by the tortoise trust.  However when  I got home and looked it up there was simply a question saying is it suitable , with the general answer being 'No'  Lots more building today, We have had to make it bespoke to fit into an odd corner. My husband is being very good, I am getting some incredulous looks though.  I think he may be wishing my gran had left a cat or a rabbit!

Will he be ok out side straight away, How long do I leave the light on each day?  Thank you again so much.

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

Lol, never trust a farm shop for tortoise advice, even reptile shops will get it wrong most of the time. You wouldn't even fit an adult tortoise under one of those tell them. If they are using them themselves for torts, try pointing them here for a bit of friendly advice. I think the tortoise trust would be very interested to hear that they advocate it lol. If he's used to waking and then going in the garden, then try to follow this as closely as possible, but March is far too early to leave him outside and he needs shelter and heat until all risk of frost has gone. He's fine to have a tootle around on good days, but watch and be guided by what he does and if he hides away or tries to dig down, then bring him back to shelter and a heat lamp. On good days just have the lamp on for an hour or so first thing to get his core temp warmed up, but on bad days leave it on longer, so he can digest his food. Make sure he has water available. Tell hubby a cat or rabbit wouldn't be nearly so interesting :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users