• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hi I have just posted a long and eclectic post in the hibernation forum.  Thought it would be prudent to add the enclosure parts here.

We are hoping to get the majority of it finished this weekend, but of course can make changes.

We have been making an enclosure for the times that we are not in the garden with him, I hope to finish it today.  We are building a green house where the kennel is.  (around the kennel, Will sink the kennel into the soil so he can dig down into it. I will use the soil to make another hill in his enclosure and have bought top soil from wicks for him to dig and sleep in. 

We are getting a lamp -  http://www.molevalle...h/go?w=pig lamp  if anyone has time to look at the link and advice as to the best one, that would be very helpful.

We are replacing the 6ft panels with 4ft ones so he gets the evening sun as well. Then will finish planting up.

I have rosemary, hebe, lavatera, thyme and lots of teazels and dandilions to put in.  There will be a tortoise sized door from the green house to the enclosure. And permenant wood round the bottom of the fence so he can' see the rest of the garden.  He will spend the majority of the time in the main garden, but will have the enclosure for early mornings, and times we can't supervise him.

There is a fibreglass stone designed for pond that holds an inch or so of water - I'll attach a pic from last year.

All suggestions changes and improvements would be fantastic. I want to get it right for him.

Thank you so much.

Attached File  IMG_9939.JPG   61.09KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9943.JPG   101.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_8905.JPG   54.86KB   0 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

Having a green house will work well with a lamp inside, im sure Sue uses pig lamps in hers so i'll let her look at that, my torts have a heated shed instead of a greenhouse with an enclosure off it, I have plenty of plants and rocks in there, and also some edible weeds and plants, here's a couple of pictures of how I keep mine. :)

SAM_2356_zps17ttyomh.jpg

SAM_2354_zps8f7t5eyu.jpg

#3 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

That is gorgeous Karen, I actually found your pics in a google image search in the week and printed it out for inspiration!- Actually that sound a bit stalker-ish!

Do you have to trim the grass down during the summer?

Our construction is getting there, I always underestimate tasks (and finance) its taking much longer and costing much more than I expected.

How many torts do you have?

Do they live there all of the time between hibernation?

How long do you keep your lamp on each day?

It has got so cold again here at the moment, I am not sure if I should be putting him out straight away.  At the moment he is inside with a normal desk lamp to bask under whilst we finish his enclosure.

My gran kept him out from the moment he woke up to the moment he went to sleep - unheated.  Now I have a bit of knowledge though it seems so cruel.

Sorry, lots of questions again!

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

Hi,

The questions are fine that's what were here for, my tortoises live in the shed 24/7, my shed has 2 heat lamps in there and a heater on a thermostat for the colder months just to stop the temps dropping too low in there, it has a tunnel to the outside enclosure so they can come and go as they please all day, the lamps are on depending on the weather really we can still have some colder days through the summer in the north east, mainly there on 1st thing and that's it. :)

I do cut the grass bits and keep on top of the enclosure through the summer months, then it just gets left over winter, and I start tidying it again now getting it ready for them to go out hope that helps. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users