• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

Sorry, me again.  Do you all have have your outdoor enclosures with a permanent electricity supply? Whilst this is the long term plan, we are getting a back porch built in the summer, so would be good to wait til then so it can run from there. Has any one used a caravan style hook up to power their enclosure?

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

Hi, Janna,

Yes, electricity is pretty essential in the outdoor housing, torts need the availability to bask when they want to.

If you're having a porch built, I would assume you're having some lighting installed, so you could ask the electrician to run a feed from it via fused spur; not a big job at all.

I installed electricity by running a twin & earth cable from the socket in the kitchen by using 22mm push-fit plumbing conduit, along with a series of angle joints:

Out through the wall, and along the edges.

Picture%20003_zpsyopt4exh.jpg

Up to Harry's house

Picture%20002_zpsopdnpoah.jpg

And into the house where it powers the lamp

Picture%20001_zps7cezczjm.jpg

I dare say there's lots of ways you can do it, depending on the circumstances.

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

Totall agree with this. This is how mine works, but I use a reflector shade to maximise the downward direction of heat.

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

I'm glad you mentioned the shield, Sue, that was something I'd overlooked; I'll make one today.
Mrs will be pleased too, it'll keep me quiet and out from under her feet for a couple of hours.

#5 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

Thanks, is the long term plan - love the idea of enclosing the cable in pipe. Your pics are fab. Our log cabin has armoured cable running to it which was what I assumed we would do here.

I just wondered in a caravan hook up type cable would be suitable in the short term. Making a shade sounds very handy! I could do with some of your DIY skills please!!

They do  sell the shades at the farm shop I have just returned from for £6 though!

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Your biggest concern with the cable, Janna, is rain; you don't want any water coming into contact with the terminals, causing short-outs etc. Providing you use the approved outdoor/waterproof sockets then it should be ok for the short term, but do prioritise the electrics when planning your permanent outdoor enclosure.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Thanks, is the long term plan - love the idea of enclosing the cable in pipe. Your pics are fab. Our log cabin has armoured cable running to it which was what I assumed we would do here.
I just wondered in a caravan hook up type cable would be suitable in the short term. Making a shade sounds very handy! I could do with some of your DIY skills please!!
They do  sell the shades at the farm shop I have just returned from for £6 though!

Yes, I have to admit I buy the farm shop pig lamps complete with shades. The whole thing costs around £20

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

Your biggest concern with the cable, Janna, is rain; you don't want any water coming into contact with the terminals, causing short-outs etc. Providing you use the approved outdoor/waterproof sockets then it should be ok for the short term, but do prioritise the electrics when planning your permanent outdoor enclosure.

Did you use pond grade cable Graham?

#9 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

Did you use pond grade cable Graham?

No, I didn't, Sue; if the cable was going underground, or stapled to the wall, then I would have, but being as was being sealed in plastic conduit, it didn't deem it necessary.

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

No, I didn't, Sue; if the cable was going underground, or stapled to the wall, then I would have, but being as was being sealed in plastic conduit, it didn't deem it necessary.

I see. I did my own, also in plastic but underground. I just guessed it would make it less likely to fail, using pond wire. I couldn't stand the thought of digging it back up lol. It's lasted around ten years so far. Did I do the right thing?

#11 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

I see. I did my own, also in plastic but underground. I just guessed it would make it less likely to fail, using pond wire. I couldn't stand the thought of digging it back up lol. It's lasted around ten years so far. Did I do the right thing?

You certainly did, Sue; pond cable is designed for exposure to water and the outside elements, and so is very hard wearing. I'll wager it'll last at least another ten years.

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Oh that's good, I reckon I will have moved house by then and the new owners will wonder what's been going on lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users