Outdoor Shelter Questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 asellers98

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hired a contractor to build a 24" × 24" × 24" stone building for a year round tortoise house for sleeping aND hibernating. Stone they will be using will be 4" thick, with thin cinder blocks behind it. Doorway 11" × 11", ramp will be inside going up 5" to the soil floor. Installed 2 separate ceramic heater units (60 watt bulbs each) attached to a thermostat, sensor in the middle of the bulbs on the ground. Removable stone top, to access for cleaning and inspection. Attaching a red led to the top outside, so when the unit is on, I am able to see easily. Thinking about a wireless cam installed as well.

The pen would be an L shape, 6' × 25' and 5' x 10'. The wallsecond are all stone, and concrete w rebar going down 6". There is just soil and plants, not a grass enclosure.

Housing two Hermann's Tortoises.

Is the 5" depth sufficient to allow burrowing, as well as rain conditions safety?

Does my heating solution sound adequate for weather that will reach typically lowest Temps in the 20s F for short periods of time, worst case in Dallas, TX -10 F. I would bring them inside on extreme days if required.

Is the door too big?

Anything I miss?

Improvements, suggestions, complaints? Want to do this right the first time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users