• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 asellers98

asellers98

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hired a contractor to build a 24" × 24" × 24" stone building for a year round tortoise house for sleeping aND hibernating. Stone they will be using will be 4" thick, with thin cinder blocks behind it. Doorway 11" × 11", ramp will be inside going up 5" to the soil floor. Installed 2 separate ceramic heater units (60 watt bulbs each) attached to a thermostat, sensor in the middle of the bulbs on the ground. Removable stone top, to access for cleaning and inspection. Attaching a red led to the top outside, so when the unit is on, I am able to see easily. Thinking about a wireless cam installed as well.

The pen would be an L shape, 6' × 25' and 5' x 10'. The wallsecond are all stone, and concrete w rebar going down 6". There is just soil and plants, not a grass enclosure.

Housing two Hermann's Tortoises.

Questions:

Is the 5" depth sufficient to allow burrowing, as well as rain conditions safety?

Does my heating solution sound adequate for weather that will reach typically lowest Temps in the 20s F for short periods of time, worst case in Dallas, TX -10 F. I would bring them inside on extreme days if required.

Is the door too big?

Anything I miss?

Improvements, suggestions, complaints? Want to do this right the first time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users