• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

Ben is full of the joys of spring! Yesterday, He spent some time under his heat lamp, ate a good breakfast and explored the main garden, accompanied by the cat , had a look round his new enclosure, ate lunch, then spent the afternoon chasing an old shoe round the garden (or bonking it with his head as my 6 year old described it -  Hoping she doesn't repeat her innocent description at school!)   After the foreplay of headbutting he did what male tortoises do.  Though I doubt there are many old shoes in the wild.  Do other owners or mature male tortoises give their boys toys?

Shall I just leave him to get on with it or do people get stud tortoises?? Feel a bit sorry for him really. (Would feel far more sorry for his any lady tortoise friend though!) We have no intention of breeding.

He's having a lie in today!

• Rue likes this

#2 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:08 PM

That's a good question!

The other day I watched a YouTube video of a tortoise romancing a boot.  It was an eye-opener.  Initially I was  hoping ours was a male...now I'm wondering if our shoes will be less traumatized if ours turns out to be female... :happy:

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

It's just what healthy male tortoises do. Many people make the mistake of getting a female one only to find the female gets injured, the males puts all his energy into bonking, consequently losing weight and condition and the problem then arises as what to do. Separation seems the obvious answer, but tortoises have keen sense of smell and although Mrs tortoise might be relieved, Mr tortoise will spend all his time trying to escape and getting to his goal. You always need several females to one male and a lot of room as pens rarely work. Hope this helps. :)

#4 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, think I just need to find some more old shoes!

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Thanks, think I just need to find some more old shoes!

Or turn the heat down lol. The warmer they are the randier they get :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users