5 replies to this topic

#1 abigsnail1992

abigsnail1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi Folks,

So, following the clearly poor advice I was given from the store I got Norman from, I now have some queries about hybernation.

According to the store (I'm not too sure if the guy was the breeder), Norman was laid, born & bred in a viv, with constant heat & light for 12 hours per day, & does not require hybernation. Since he gave me dodgy food/housing info, I'm now worried about my little guys hybernation & if he needs it!

He tends to sometimes bury in his flooring, or into the shredded paper in his 'bedroom' bit, and can sleep for a long time if he's feeling it, but is generally very active & seemingly hasn't hybernated before. What do I do?

Thanks!

#2 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

I am not qualified to advise, being quite new myself but 1st question will be what species is Norman? How old? Have you got papers for him to tell you this? Someone will be on in abit, I think to help you.

#3 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

Just found your other post answering question above, Hermann with papers. Hermann's do hibernate, it is natural for them to do this. A good guide on this site for you to look at.I hibernated molly for 1st time, in a fridge this year. It worked out well.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Hi Folks,
So, following the clearly poor advice I was given from the store I got Norman from, I now have some queries about hybernation.
According to the store (I'm not too sure if the guy was the breeder), Norman was laid, born & bred in a viv, with constant heat & light for 12 hours per day, & does not require hybernation. Since he gave me dodgy food/housing info, I'm now worried about my little guys hybernation & if he needs it!
He tends to sometimes bury in his flooring, or into the shredded paper in his 'bedroom' bit, and can sleep for a long time if he's feeling it, but is generally very active & seemingly hasn't hybernated before. What do I do?
Thanks!

I'd be asking the store manager for some proof of this as any breeder knows, you cannot hatch a tortoise and grow it on in a Viv with constant heat and light. Not only would it not be possible from the outset, but a hatchling subjected to this regime would die very quickly. Would love to know who said this! As mentioned, do you have a certificate with him? This will tell you exactly where he came from. If not it will give the name of the holder in box 1 which means they bought them as imports to sell to the trade. You don't need the bedroom bit, better to have deep soil to dig into, the same as in nature. If you have him in a Viv, you could do with getting him into something larger and open topped, to give him more air circulation and a temperature gradient as constant high temps can be lethal unfortunately. From the 'advice' given I'm wondering if you have a horsfield, common in pet shops now with minimal advice offered.

#5 abigsnail1992

abigsnail1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

I'd be asking the store manager for some proof of this as any breeder knows, you cannot hatch a tortoise and grow it on in a Viv with constant heat and light. Not only would it not be possible from the outset, but a hatchling subjected to this regime would die very quickly. Would love to know who said this! As mentioned, do you have a certificate with him? This will tell you exactly where he came from. If not it will give the name of the holder in box 1 which means they bought them as imports to sell to the trade. You don't need the bedroom bit, better to have deep soil to dig into, the same as in nature. If you have him in a Viv, you could do with getting him into something larger and open topped, to give him more air circulation and a temperature gradient as constant high temps can be lethal unfortunately. From the 'advice' given I'm wondering if you have a horsfield, common in pet shops now with minimal advice offered.

Yes, his paper says the holder is Zoological International LTD, and he was captive born & bred or artificially propogated, whatever that means! By the looks of it he comes from Slovenia & his paper was issued in 2015 by AHVLA...

The 'bedroom' bit is just called that for my reference... It's just a part of the table top that's sectioned off a bit from the rest, so it's darker & cooler. I'm just worried about changing things up for him & freaking him out or something. This is Norman (The paper I have says he's a Hermann) :) He looks bigger in the picture than he actually is!

Attached Files

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

I'd still remove the bedroom bit if he was mine, they tend to stay above ground in these, rather than disappear under the soil. From his shell you can tell he's not been kept properly and been power grown, so the sooner he can dig in and have a decent diet, the better his chances of his shell improving. If only the UK would leave the EU, Slovenia would be forced to stop sending babies over here :( what does he weigh, he looks much bigger than a year old?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users