• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

Ben has had a great day in the sunshine exploring his new enclosure and conservatory! Haven't got the electrics sorted yet, so it's a fair weather day pen for a week or so.

He has spent a lot of time basking on his hill, whispering sweet nothings to his shoe and digging in his kennel. (within the shelter, dug 30cm into the soil and with 30cm top soil in.

I need to plant up the conservatory bit to make it more interesting- got some aloe vera - any other ideas?

And get a higher strip around the perimeter.

Wait for the weeds to grow and plants to mature!

All other ideas very gratefully received.  I want to make it as nice as possible for him.  He has also spent a lot of time in the main garden.  The enclosure is when we can be with him.

I have also posted a pic of the urates he passed today - I posted one a few days ago when they looked  yellow and odd.  Is this looking normal now?

Thanks so much for any advice and ideas. J

Attached Files

• Rue likes this

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

Ben has had a great day in the sunshine exploring his new enclosure and conservatory! Haven't got the electrics sorted yet, so it's a fair weather day pen for a week or so.

He has spent a lot of time basking on his hill, whispering sweet nothings to his shoe and digging in his kennel. (within the shelter, dug 30cm into the soil and with 30cm top soil in.

I need to plant up the conservatory bit to make it more interesting- got some aloe vera - any other ideas?

All other ideas very gratefully received.  I want to make it as nice as possible for him.  He has also spent a lot of time in the main garden.  The enclosure is when we can be with him.

I have also posted a pic of the urates he passed today - I posted one a few days ago when they looked  yellow and odd.  Is this looking normal now?

It's looking good Janna. He's a handsome old boy. Has he been oiled at some time? If so a good scrub in the spring will do him good. He looks very possessive of his 'mate'. Hebe, Heather and grasses are good for enclosures, they help break up the line of sight and give natural hiding places. The urates are looking much better, he's obviously having a good old clear out. :)

#3 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hi, Thanks so much for your replies.  Yes my  Gran and Great Aunt used to oil him frequently. - they learnt all their tortoise care tips in the 70's. Will just a scrub with water be enough? He's a real sweetie.  We're so pleased to have him.

#4 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

I was just asking about scrubbing and oiling!  :happy:

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

No, he will need a regular scrub with carex or similar, there's a lot of gunk to get rid of, although some may have worn off over the years. Years ago the RSPCA told me I should be oiling my tortoise when my son took him to a pet show. Scary stuff!

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

Hi Janna,

Ben is just gorgeous, a lovely old boy :)  your enclosures going to be great it does take time and doesn't happen over night, the plants I have in mine that I've found work really well are different ornamental grasses, yucca, heather, hebe, lavatera, hibiscus, I also have plants like pansy, viola etc but these just get eaten straight away. :)

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

No, he will need a regular scrub with carex or similar, there's a lot of gunk to get rid of, although some may have worn off over the years. Years ago the RSPCA told me I should be oiling my tortoise when my son took him to a pet show. Scary stuff!

It's scary that some people still advise oiling the shell now, because they've done it for years with their tortoise. :(

#8 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

Wow, gave his a gentle scrub today with a soft child's nail brush, warm water and soap and a good rinse.  He had a bask under his lamp and put himself to bed.   I can't believe the difference after a couple of minutes. I have planted rosemary , grasses, lavetera and hebe in his enclosure and some pots of weeds in his 'conservatory'.

Photos are from yesterday and today.

Attached File  IMG_0045.JPG   71.13KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0051.JPG   45.34KB   1 downloads

#9 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

He looks all spring-cleaned! :)

Is it my imagination...or are there old holes drilled in his shell?

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

Yes, he looks to have been tethered at some time, an old practice that is now illegal.

#11 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks.  It's good to know what I'm looking at.

Good thing tethering is now illegal too! 

#12 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hi, Yes.  Yet again, the holes are from the 70's. He used to get tangled up so my gran gave him free reign of the garden after a few months.  I have read since getting him that they have nerve endings in their shells, so the pain must have been horrendous. 

He must be such an hardy soul to have survived  for so long. With inadequete and at times cruel (though always with the very best intentions, my gran  was and great aunt are the kindest, most thoughtful and generous people.  It would upset them greatly to know what we know now, they adored Ben and thought they were doing the very best for him.

#13 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

I think you've made a fabulous job of the enclosure, Janna, and it will evolve beautifully as the plants grow. One tweak I would suggest at this stage is that you sink the water dish to ground level; it will present then as a more natural pool for Ben. If you put some clean gravel in it too, this will give him some grip when he bathes.
Well done a super job.

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

The shell is a living part of the tortoise, so drilling a hole would have been no different to drilling through the leg. He must have reacted to it. Good to know it's not going to happen again ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users