Winter foods

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Hiya everyone.

I was just wondering if anybody could help me find some good winter foods for godzilla. I'll be hibernating him next year if I'm brave enough, but I need some advice on what to feed him this year. He's on bagged crispy lettuce and occasional dandelion leaves at the moment, but these don't really seem very nutritious. Is there anything fresher that I can buy from the garden centre or anywhere? I've started growing some tlady mix, but it seems to be taking an eternity! Also, the vet told me that broccoli leaves are good, but I thought I'd check with the all knowing forum folks before giving him any!
Thanks in advance.

Beth & Godzilla x

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hello Beth
Sorry vet, broccoli is a brassica, so although some would not do much harm, it would need to be fed sparingly. you could get him some winter pansies, other than that it's just what you can find at the moment, are your seeds under glass or plastic??
Arnie

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

I feed my tortoises in the winter, gratted carrot (once a week), romainan lettuce, little gem lettuce, geens, any weeds i can find, tladys mix. I sprinkle all the food with limestone flour

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

You can buy pansies from the garden centre this time of year. If you go to Band Q you can normally buy a whole try of 40 plants for as little as 3.50 or so. :)

#5 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

i just bought some 'winter' pansies, but they don't have many flowers on them. can little tortoise eat the leaves? should i plant one in his pen?

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

Yep honey they can eat the leaves, you can plant one in his pen but it would be better to feed him some and plant the rest in a large pot altogether so as they grow bigger and then you will produce more food for him, he will probably just walk all over it in his pen, the best laid plans and all that, torts never do what you think they're gonna do and so best to just put some in when it's feeding time. Keep the rest in a pot and somewhere light and not too warm and out of the frosts. Hope he enjoys them lol:)

#7 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

thanks, ill put one little one in the pen to see how he treats it, and ill plant the rest together

johnny

#8 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

I'm growing the tlady mix too but it's taking a while, should I put a glass cover on it? It's on the windowsill, I just sprinkled the seeds on some soil from the garden in a tub. I put water on it in the morning.

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

It takes ages doesnt it, i can only feed my babies with it. I use top soil with mine and i put it in the window. I would like some ideas too

#10 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

They will grow better if they get some heat you can try a propagater but really its the light the seedling recieve that gets them growing not long now till the days get longer your seedlings will grow like crazy then

#11 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

A propergator and a UV light above it makes the T Ladys seeds grow quicker :)

#12 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

Correct omare forgot to mention the uva light

#13 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

Thats ok honey, two heads are better than one, lol:)

#14 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

and what's a propagator? i'm not very good with gardening

#15 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

Its a seed tray with a clear plastic lid rather like a miniture greenhouse , you can get some that are already set up with a thermostate and build in heated tray BQ are a good place to look

#16 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

One of these,but you can get them cheaper in B and Q or a local garden centre. Just put your soil in, add seeds and water lightly, once the heat gets to work, it makes it's own moisture and you don't normally have to water again, dinner for tortoises

http://www.greenfing...4&pf_id=PP0096A

#17 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:03 PM

Or this ones cheaper:)

http://www.greenfing...4&pf_id=LD0007D

#18 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-01-06 AT 01:07 PM (GMT)]Thanks very much everybody!

I'm going to go and buy some pansies today. Would some cling-film over the top of the seed tray help until I can get a propagator? My mum can't believe how difficult it is to grow weeds. I hope godzilla likes them after all of this, and doesn't just trample over them as I've seen him do with so many other lovingly prepared meals! I think I'll give the broccoli leaves a miss. I'm still learning and paranoid about everything that might cause the slightest problem. I hope one day I'll be able to dish out good advice, and not just sap everyone else's knowledge! :-)

Beth x

#19 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

cling film will be fine and i'm sure you knowledge will grow quickly look forward to seeing you help new comers to he forum in the not too distant future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users