• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

I noticed that my hatchling has a pale/white tongue, he is relatively active and I bathe him everyday. I feed him a mix of weeds (not dandelions in case you were thinking that's what the white came from) and spring mix. I also sprinkle calcium on the food everyday.
What could this mean?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

If it's white as in just pale, it could be pretty normal for a tiny one. Dandelion is fine and will cause a black tongue but not a white one and not permanent. By spring mix, do you mean cabbage etc, as that's not good and will stop the uptake of calcium. Rather than just feed calcium, I would give him a decent supplement containing D3, such as Nekton MSA to balance things out for him.

#3 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:25 AM

The spring mix I use consists of red lettuce, arugula etc. His tongue is a little white, it is hard to tell which is why I included the picture. I will definitely look into the Nekton MSA product.

Attached Files

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

I wouldn't worry too much if he's eating and otherwise normal. My hatchlings tongues are paler than the adults ;)

#5 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

I just got came back from my local reptile store, and I didn't find nekton msa, but I found repti calcium, it is a phosphorus-free calcium supplement with D3. I assume this is okay? Thanks!

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

It depends on what else is in there too, it's not one I know. Nekton MSA is not available in the shops here. It's a German product and available from Amazon ;)

#7 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

Also, he's spending an awful lot of time under his basking light, usually sleeping. The basking spot is around 95 degrees and the colder part of the enclosure is around 70. I understand that hatchlings sleep a lot but it can be really depleting for them sleeping under the basking light most of the day. What could be the reason he's doing this?

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

Sleeping for any length of time under the basking light is dangerous and could dehydrate him seriously. How are you taking the temps? You need to take it with a probe thermometer or a laser beam for accuracy. Could be your temps are too low which would account for excessive basking.

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

I'm just using a $15 zoo med thermometer, I know it isn't the best of quality but I was hoping it would do the job:/ is there a cheap and accurate alternative?

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

If the thermometer is enclosed in glass or plastic it will overheat if put under a lamp as heat is trapped in the enclosed space, so giving a false reading. Please don't emphasise cheap, as taking short cuts usually results in problems. Look on eBay for a laser type thermometer, probably not much more expensive than the zoomed one, which is no good for placing under a lamp.

#11 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

Update:

I've been fiddling with the lamp and thermometer and concluded that Cozmo wasn't getting enough heat, thus acting sluggish and sleeping a lot. I live in Canada and the weather was finally nice, so I took Him outside. After about 5 minutes there was already a noticeable difference. He surprised me with how active he was!

I put him back in his enclosure and he started getting sluggish again. So I've adjusted the basking light and he is now very active and happy:)

Thank you for all of the helpful responses!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users