• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

Reading through other recent posts I was wondering what the 'rule of thumb' was for adding calcium to the diet?

I am lightly sprinkling calcium (with added Vit. D) on Goosefoot's food twice a week.  I have a cuttlebone available by her food dish as well.

I don't know what the symptoms of too much calcium are in tortoises, but in people it includes a host of symptoms.  Many of these symptoms, especially if taken individually might never be linked to a calcium overdose, because they are all rather 'vague' (and because calcium overdose is quite rare).  They include muscle weakness, drowsiness, confusion, bone density loss due to interference with manganese uptake and kidney stones.

I would think sprinkling it on their food daily (which forces them to consume it) might be too much?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Why twice a week. Most supplements are used daily. Use the recommended dose and you won't have to do guess work. Nekton for example is a pinch per kilo of tortoise, so easy enough to work out. If you are worried about calcium overdose then offer limestone flour in a dish and let the tortoise make the choice

#3 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

Supplement only means to 'add'.  Could be daily, twice weekly, weekly.  In some cases no supplements are even necessary - but I'm not banking on being able to deliver a complete diet in captivity, especially in this part of the world (not native to the tortoise).

I just don't want to have to worry about creating a problem with overdosing if I don't have to.  So I was trying to make sure she was eating some...(in addition to whatever levels she was getting in her diet)...and then having the cuttlebone there for her if she felt she needed more.

I have the Repti Calcium...which I think is the same thing as Nekton...but more readily available here.

I'll see what I can find in the literature - some of the on-line material is confusing, contradictory or self-serving...lol.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

Careful with cuttlefish though, it's good for keeping beaks down on none grazing tortoises but quite high in phosphorous. Should have said 'most tortoise supplements'. Not all D3 supplements are the same, many use Nutrobal but that's not the same as Nekton. Ive not heard of ReptiCalcium.
  • Rue likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users