6 replies to this topic

#1 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

We're getting a new tortoise for my daughter for her birthday which is in August and I'm doing research before buying our new addition, I'm just saying hello and looking forward to any ideas, advise needed to make sure we are getting it right!!

Would also like anyone who knows any breeders etc (Herman tortoise)

We could get one earlier than August if there are any available.

I'm hoping to get everything and set up sorted by June/July

Thanks

Lisa and Millie (Millie is my daughter)

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hi Lisa, Millie, welcome to the forum. :)

It's really good to see you do some research 1st, were always happy to help and answer any questions you have, to start with you might find this care sheet helpful http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm and this is a good one regarding diet http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm, there's also this really good book come out that helps with diet and id of weeds/ plants http://www.tlady.clara.net/id16.htm . :)  

For breeders if you let us know what area it is you live we might be able to point you in the right direction, Sue ( wizzasmum ) is a really good breeder and will be along later, if your any where near her, hope that helps. :)

#3 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for the information, we live near Manchester but we are willing to travel if needed.

We are looking for a Herman, for now we was looking to get a rabbit cage or a table, but I just want something easy to put outside on the nice days, and then to build a another home outside in our garden.

I have had a look at some pictures on here and there are some great ideas that I will be using lol!

We will use top soil as substrate, and next week I'm going to get tortoise weed kit to get started growing my own weeds lol!

What advise I would like is the best lighting/UV/Heat please?

Thanks Lisa x

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hi Lisa
The link Karen has given you is how I keep mine. I have a few hatchlings left from last year that will be ready to go in August. I deliver to Manchester area as have friends and family up there if that helps. You are on the right track re enclosure and substrate. There are links to lights etc on the website. You must have uvb lighting along with a basking source. These can either be combined or separate, depending on what is easiest for you. I use both options in my setups. I use megarays which are combined and which I have found most reliable. There are other makes, often with hard sell from the manufacturers but as I say I've found megaray to be the best for me. Careful where you get your weed kit from, there are lots of imitations of the original mix around, mostly from unqualified sellers. Also remember to let them mature before feeding as seedlings have a different composition to mature plants, so for your August baby, best get started now lol. Hope this helps

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:42 AM

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for the information, we live near Manchester but we are willing to travel if needed.

We are looking for a Herman, for now we was looking to get a rabbit cage or a table, but I just want something easy to put outside on the nice days, and then to build a another home outside in our garden.

I have had a look at some pictures on here and there are some great ideas that I will be using lol!

We will use top soil as substrate, and next week I'm going to get tortoise weed kit to get started growing my own weeds lol!

What advise I would like is the best lighting/UV/Heat please?

Thanks Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

That's great Sue will be able to help you with the hatchling :)  im with Sue on the lighting I also use the mega-ray bulb I've found them really good here you go  http://www.megaray.co.uk/specials.php this is where I order my weed seeds from http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm they cost a little more but you do know your getting the correct food from them, be careful buying from the likes of ebay etc. :)  

#6 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

Brilliant! Thanks Sue and Karen,

Great I will order the weeds from where you recommend, and I was thinking of the mega ray lighting as I have seen a lot of people say they are the best.

That will be great Sue we live in a place called Leigh or we can collect its no problem to us, we are hoping to get everything sorted by July any way as I didn't want to rush into it.

When in August will they be available we are away at beginning of August for a week so ideally after this would be better, but my parents are staying here so we will have someone to look after him/her if its before?

Do I contact you through this site or do you have a direct email address I can contact you on?

Thanks Lisa x

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

Brilliant! Thanks Sue and Karen,

Great I will order the weeds from where you recommend, and I was thinking of the mega ray lighting as I have seen a lot of people say they are the best.

That will be great Sue we live in a place called Leigh or we can collect its no problem to us, we are hoping to get everything sorted by July any way as I didn't want to rush into it.

When in August will they be available we are away at beginning of August for a week so ideally after this would be better, but my parents are staying here so we will have someone to look after him/her if its before?

Do I contact you through this site or do you have a direct email address I can contact you on?

Thanks Lisa x

You can get me on wizzasmum@aol.com Lisa. Babies are £95 and come with DEFRA certs, care booklets and after sales help for as long as you need it. I don't take deposits but it's best to book one if this is what you want as they will be gone by August otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users