1 reply to this topic

#1 nzflorin

nzflorin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi all

I have been adding topsoil to my tortoises outdoor enclosures and coldframe recently.  I especially have put a lot in my Hermanns tortoise coldframe as I am going to let him hibernate in his coldframe from next week onwards.  While looking at the soil I noticed that it is described as a loam, clay type top soil that has been screened.  But it appears to have moisture in it and I am concerned that it may be too much moisture for my Hermanns Tortoise to safely hibernate in.  Especially as I read that wet conditions can cause infections and other health problems.  Can someone please let me know what I could add to the top soil to make it drier.  Or suggest something else to put into his coldframe that would be better for him to burrow down in while hibernating.  His breeder suggested I also add some straw in his coldframe for him to hibernate under.  Thanks for any advice in advance.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Moist is fine as they need humidity but wet is not so good. Very dry soil would not maintain his hydration and straw could be positively dangerous leading to respiratory problems. Hope this helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users