• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

I know this is as far off topic as it could be, but I'm a little bit on the pleased side, and wanted to tell.

I took up Taekwon-Do at the grand old age of fifty to keep fit and active, and now, three and a half years down the line, several black eyes and bruised bones later, I gained my Black Belt today!

IMG_0038_zpsvwuciqkh.jpg

Not bad for an old fella  :yay:

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

Well done Graham. That's quite an achievement :) Can you suggest some fitness ideas for a much older person?

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:42 AM

That's brilliant Graham, well done. :)

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

Well done Graham. That's quite an achievement :) Can you suggest some fitness ideas for a much older person?

Thanks, both. Sue, I would suggest yoga every time. You start off gently and let your body tell you when you're ready to increase the effort. I started my keep fit regime with yoga about ten years ago, and still cannot believe the benefits it's given me; weight loss, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, joint pain gone, better sleeping......the list goes on. In fact, it was because of yoga that I progressed to Taekwon-Do; it really did improve my overall health that much.

Go to a beginners class and let yourself improve from there; you'll be so glad you did.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:23 PM

Thanks Graham, you've just persuaded me to look into it. I have all of those problems except high blood pressure and really not into taking lots of meds, so that sounds like a brilliant option. Thanks, hoping there is somewhere near to my village. Maybe I can persuade my neighbour to come with me lol

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

You shouldn't have a problem finding a venue, Sue, yoga is very popular, and is often held in village halls and community centres etc. It's good to take a friend, it inspires both of you.
Apart from glucosamine to keep my cartilage strong, I take no medication whatsoever these days; my GP says the transformation has been remarkable.
Give it a go, Sue, you'll be glad you did.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

I'm onto it Graham :) living in the sticks means I will have to go into town, but that's not a problem. I agree re natural cures. Have you tried green lipped mussel for joints too? My dog has hip dysplasia and being only young, it's a bit of a worry. Luckily my vet isn't happy to give her the usual stuff, which he admits will destroy her kidneys and shorten her life considerably (something doctors don't tell you). Anyway, he prescribes glucosamine and green lipped mussel and she's gone from limping and crying when doing normal puppy jumps, to being the fastest dog for miles around. The vet is thrilled and not expecting her to need hip replacement for many years. I got the glm for my own knees and I forgot how bad it used to be. I did find bread and anything wheat set it off though so avoid that too. Sorry for hijacking your glory. Well done again :)

#8 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

Congrats! :)

I have some health issues (arthritis related, but not actually full-blown arthritis - except for my back).  I also do much better if I can stay fit.  Several years ago I stepped out side of the box (for me) and took a rather girly dance class...I was in the best shape ever.  But it was hard to get to, I stopped going...and have slipped backwards.  And while I enjoyed the class and my cohorts, I always felt out of place...I'm not all that girly for a girl.

So last fall I started martial arts as well...

Don't laugh...but I'm doing combat training with a focus on stick work... :happy:

I take lessons in fits and starts...so I'm not progressing as well as I would taking regular weekly lessons...but I like this much better than dance class...

I also have a mini-gym set up...treadmill, boxing bag (for stick work), flat bench (easier on my back than doing exercises on the floor) and a ballet barre for stretching (no ballet)...I still also want to get a chin up bar.  I think that will cover everything I do.

I am hoping to keep myself fit in between going for combat sessions...

This is all on top of walking dogs, mucking with horses, and tortoise bathing, etc., but since I am a fair-weather outdoors person, I need to stay motivated to keep my body moving during the bad weather...and all winter, lol.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm the only middle-aged woman at the dojo...that I've seen at any rate... :rolleyes:

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

Well you've put me to shame :lol:  I should do more exercise than I do, I used to do it quite often but im having a lazy period at the minute, Yoga is some thing I've never tried, if you go Sue, you'll have to let me know how you got on. :)

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

Tell you what, you can come with me, I could do with a lodger ;) Just waiting for confirmation from my neighbour. I've been in the garden for the last few days painting the bottom of the house (don't ask) and then because of the mess created by digging out, getting the boys Naughty corner back to normal before they need it lol . Just discovered I can't bend down or pick things up from the floor. Hopefully yoga will help. :)

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

Omg! https://www.google.c...yUDj2yONobWpoM:

#12 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

Tell you what, you can come with me, I could do with a lodger ;) Just waiting for confirmation from my neighbour. I've been in the garden for the last few days painting the bottom of the house (don't ask) and then because of the mess created by digging out, getting the boys Naughty corner back to normal before they need it lol . Just discovered I can't bend down or pick things up from the floor. Hopefully yoga will help. :)

Your on :lol: sounds like you've been having fun again. :)

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

Your on :lol: sounds like you've been having fun again. :)

Never a dull moment here Karen, all helped by mad leaping lurcher. Can't seem to add pics for some reason, is it me?

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

Attached File  SAM_1636.JPG   24.6KB   0 downloads

Never a dull moment here Karen, all helped by mad leaping lurcher. Can't seem to add pics for some reason, is it me?

Not sure Sue, it's let me upload one, try again and let me know if your still having problems. :)

#15 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

I'm not even getting an option Karen, nothing to click on. Wonder if it's iPad!

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:54 AM

I'm not even getting an option Karen, nothing to click on. Wonder if it's iPad!

For a couple of days it wouldn't let me post quoting to a certain post, but seems fine again now. :)

#17 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

Can you remind me of what I should be seeing to post a pic please? I've got options to print, like on FB, post to another person etc but no icon to add a pic

#18 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

My emoticons aren't showing either.

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

Can you remind me of what I should be seeing to post a pic please? I've got options to print, like on FB, post to another person etc but no icon to add a pic

It should say more reply options, then attach files, then you can upload them, I've got someone to have a look at this. :)

#20 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

It should say more reply options, then attach files, then you can upload them, I've got someone to have a look at this. :)

No, I'm not getting this :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users