• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

Hey guys, I noticed the back legs and neck of my tortoise don't have much skin on them. I know it's not a big deal if they peel, but the skin peeled off around two months ago and it still hasn't grown back. The area on question doesn't look red or raw, it just looks kinda white and bare. Is this something I should be worried about? And when could I expect the skin to grow back?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

Normally there is new skin underneath. If a hermanns its unusual for skin to peel in large amounts, unless overfed and growing too fast.

#3 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

He's a slow grower, he's almost a year old and he is around 20g and 4.5cm, so he fits the Jackson ratio. He is hermann and I don't think it's because of overfeeding and definitely not growing too fast. I'm not sure why the skin isn't growing back.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Maybe there is some other underlying problem. Overdosing on vitamin A can cause skin loss. The Jackson ratio only works for wild grown tortoises I'm afraid. Where did you have him from and what did he weigh as a baby? Is his shell firm?

#5 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

I got him from arachnophiliacs, and only recently got a scale so the 20g is the only data have for his weight. His shell is firm, except for the edge near the back (right above his butt), which has a bit of give to it when he's wet, and hardly any when he is dry. I give him a D3 supplement weekly, and soak him daily. I also feed him spring mix and weeds. Under the basking area is around 95 degrees, and he spends most of his time under there, usually sleeping which I know is very depleting for him.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

I think you may have a problem with your little one as he doesn't appear to be thriving. Do you have any good close up pics of the skin area to give an idea? Would you say he's grown since you had him? Buying from pet outlets often means that species have been mixed, or staff hygiene Is not good between handling species which can cause failure to thrive. Supplements MUST be given daily at this stage as he wont be able to metabolise calcium otherwise. Don't let him sleep under the lamp as this will dehydrate him. Does he dig in naturally to sleep? What uvb lamps are you using? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to build up a picture.

#7 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

I took a few pictures of him when I first got him, and I would say he has grown, but not much. Cross contamination is what I was worried of :( I will start giving him a D3 calcium supplement daily, and I'll try to keep him from basking too long. I did notice yesterday however that he was very active after he spent most of the day under the light. He does burrow before he sleeps, not too much, but it's something, and i'm using a 10.0 uvb T5 output strip bulb and a 100W zoo med basking bulb. 

These are some pictures I just took of him;

Attached File  IMG_3807.JPG   27.64KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3969.JPG   25.26KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3970.JPG   27.83KB   0 downloads

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

What are your temps? He needs to get a core temp of 30-32 to be able to digest any food he eats. Could his temps be too cool? You don't need to reduce his basking unless he sleeps there. Make sure he's well hydrated.

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

My temps do fall in that range, and he has a constant water supply in his enclosure. I also bathe him everyday, so I don't think he will dehydrate. Another thing I forgot to mention, his underside has some give to it. I've read this is normal for hatchlings and should harden up after around 8 months, but it is still as soft (kinda springy) as it was when I got him.

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

If he's not thriving, you will still see that Spring. It's normal up to twelve months anyway, not 8 months. Those that grow more quickly will harden sooner. Just don't press on the plastron as this can displace internal organs. I'd say get him to a good vet ASAP. Where are you, we nay be able to point you in the right direction.

#11 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

I live in Ontario, about 30 minutes away from Niagara Falls

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Oh. Sorry, can't help with vets, I only know uk ones :( other than critical lighting, substrate, temps etc there's not a lot that can be said in a forum. You need to find a good vet ASAP to be honest. Sorry not to have been more help.

#13 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

That's alright, I'll try to see a vet tonight about him, I'll keep you posted, fingers crossed

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Brilliant! It's good for torts to stay small, fast growth isn't good, but with the peeling skin, there could be other underlying problems, which need yo be sorted. Good luck, will be looking in to see what your vet says ;)

#15 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

I've been on a mad search for a tortoise vet near me and I've finally found one. Unfortunately the earliest appointment I could get was a week from now:/ Since I started giving my tortoise d3 supplement every day, he has gotten a bit better, but still, no skin has grown back. If anything important happens before the vet appointment I'll let you know but you'll most likely hear from me in a week. :)

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

Brilliant at least you are moving forward

#17 Cozmo

Cozmo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:50 PM

I just got back from the vet, he said that it's most likely due to lack of vitamin A, and he also gave me some cream to put on the skin to prevent any infection. His main recommendation is for me to give him a wider range of food, and to mix in some orange food like carrots and peppers. He also recommended I come back in a month or so to check in with him, but Cozmo is most likely going to be fine, thank you for all the help!!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users