16 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom89

Phantom89

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi guys, new to the forum, hope you're all well

Just after some advice, I'm looking to build a tortoise table in the next few weeks and just wanted to know what other peoples setups are and advice on lighting, heat and substrate

Unfortunately my tortoise has been living in a viv for the last year as I've moved house twice so i want to build a table now there's more room so i can take the viv to the tip once and for all!

Cheers guys

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

How olds your tortoise, when you make the tortoise table, don't add a sleeping area there better with out them and also don't have the Perspex panel in the side, it's best that the tortoise can't see out at all, think about the sides been high enough as their good climbers, and also they do need plenty of space. :)

For substrate your best using topsoil or coco coir, I just have topsoil in mine, for lighting I recommend these bulbs there combined bulbs so do both heat and uv, I've used these for some time with no problems http://www.megaray.c...sted-p-145.html hope that helps. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. Good news that you decided to ditch the Viv. Another time though, if you need temporary accomodation, try using an indoor rabbit cage, much cheaper than a Viv too. When making your table top, go for as large as you can and either incorporate an arm for your lamp or buy a metal arm that is extendable in both directions. You need to decide whether to go for an all in one lamp that includes both uvb and heat, or go for separates with a uvb tube and separate heat lamp. Either are ok. If using an all in one bulb I recommend the megaray lamps, very reliable and good light levels to encourage activity of young ones. If going for separate uvb, go for 10% or above with a starter unit to match the wattage. Substrate needs to be as natural as possible, so soil is excellent, but heavy. I use coir indoors, but you do have to keep on top of hydration - I just flood the water dish daily and pour a cup of water over the sleeping area. This helps with shell growth too. After all that, remember though that table tops are really only suitable for hatchlings and older tortoises need permanent outdoor housing with electrics. Hope this helps.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

I think we were posting at the same time Karen lol

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

:lol:

#6 Phantom89

Phantom89

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hey

Thank you both very much for you replies and some great advice

Mortimer is only about 2 years old so still fairly young. Outdoor housing will be sorted when bigger though :)

Is the topsoil just the stuff you can buy from supermarkets/b&q etc?

When you talk about sleeping area, do you mean a section of the table that is covered? Also, do you recommend putting some form of mesh over the open area or is that not really necessary inside? 

Thank you again :)

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

2 years is a good time to go outdoors, this is when they truly thrive. My own 10 month old babies are outdoors right now and loving the weather. How big is Mortimer? These are roughly 25-30 grams and under 6cms. You don't need any covered areas, these just discourage digging down which is essential for good shell growth ;) Netting isn't required indoors unless you have inquisitive pets if any type. Just about to try to add a pic of my babies. Bear with me if it doesn't work lol

Attached Files

#8 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

Love the pics. What is the purple flowering plant?

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

It's Aubretia. Not generally available to the torts as its on the wall of my pond. They do have the odd nibble if it hangs low enough ;)

#10 Phantom89

Phantom89

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

Have you got some pictures of your outdoor enclosures/setups? :)

It's something i've considered but due to renting i was planning on staying indoors until i buy my own place in a year or 2

Have you also got any pictures of your indoor setup as well?

They look like theyre having loads of fun roaming through the plants :)

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

I don't have actual outdoor setups for my babies as they go to new homes before they reach 6cms. I take their indoor housing outdoors and bring it in if there is prolonged rain or low temps. I do have a herb garden in an old boat, which has a lamp in one end, so they go in there too during good weather. If you look on www.tortsmad.com there are several pics under housing and hatchling care that give an idea of how mine are kept. Will take a pic of the herb garden, where they have free range and keep the stuff down that I don't want. My whole garden is my bigger torts garden. It's all landscaped with them in mind, so I know they are safe. Me and the dog take second place lol

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

These are pics showing the boat herb garden and its surrounding area which is the boys 'naughty corner' which is more or less torty self sufficient. It gives the girls a break and gets them into eating, rather than having 'naughty' thoughts lol

Attached Files

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

This is the other side of the naughty corner tortoise garden. Less plants, but lots of sun and basking space.

Attached Files

#14 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I have two children, both girls (aged 12 years and 18mths)
    I am an A and E nurse in Manchester and love every minute of it.

Love camping, cycling and anything fun and exciting.

We have two cats, Marilyn and Jimmy and now our new addition Hank the tortoise!

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

Hi, we are new here too. We just built this indoor home this weekend from 2 sets of old drawers. I can't really give you much advice, I love taken most of mine from the ladies above. 😊Attached File  image.jpeg   56.75KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   30.84KB   0 downloads

#15 Phantom89

Phantom89

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

The herb garden looks ace :)

I think something like that will be a must when i get my own place in the next couple of years.

That indoor home looks really good. I think that might be similar to what i had in mind.

Thanks for pictures, everything looks great :)

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:08 AM

These are pics showing the boat herb garden and its surrounding area which is the boys 'naughty corner' which is more or less torty self sufficient. It gives the girls a break and gets them into eating, rather than having 'naughty' thoughts lol

Lovely pictures Sue, this gives people some great ideas of what a good tort area looks like, I did laugh at the boys naughty corner. :lol:

#17 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

[quote name="mildredsmam" post="66328" timestamp="1463285321"]Lovely pictures Sue, this gives people some great ideas of what a good tort area looks like, I did laugh at the boys naughty corner. :lol:[/quote

Lol, the naughty corner came about due to Samson being an absolute pain with the females. Sometimes it houses two males but nearly always one lol The herb garden is great for good weather for babies, they often get lost but it's totally secure when netted, so they are always there somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users