• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vini_laura

vini_laura

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

I noticed on Monday that Rocco was blowing little bubbles from his nose. He had a bath on Monday morning and I know that this can cause bubbles so I wasn't too worried. On Tuesday I got home from work to find him still hiding in his cave, there was no evidence that he had been out at all and he hadn't touched his food. I got him out to check him over and he was still blowing bubbles, along with making a slight clicking sound when he pulled his head in and when he opened his mouth. It sounded like sticky mucus in his mouth. Wednesday and Thursday passed (I called the vet on Wednesday and got him an apt for today) he didn't get up before I went to work and was in his cave when I got home, but there was evidence that he'd been out and about in the day and eating so I was happy to leave him be.

Today Rocco was awake before me and was happy and active in his table. I've taken him to the vet anyway (vet recommended by the Tortoise Trust) who has given him Baytril to try and clear up his snotty nose. The vet wasn't too concerned as he's been eating, his eyes were clear and bright and he also did a nice healthy poo whilst on the vets table! He suggested it 'could' be a cold... and colds 'can' turn into RNS which can then turn into pneumonia if left untreated. This is why he's prescribed the Baytril.

So after Rocco's week long life story (sorry!) my main question is... Would Baytril cause any damage if he's not actually sick? I've got to administer it every day for three weeks, 0.03ml on a piece of cucumber or similar. I'm worried that I could cause more harm than good if he doesn't actually need antibiotics?

I got Rocco in December 2015, he's my first and only tortoise, he's been an absolute pleasure and he's been happy and healthy during his time with us. I appreciate it's frowned upon but I got him from a reptile shop... I did take him to the same vet not long after I got him, just for an MOT for my piece of mind and also had faecal samples taken. The vet was happy with him and the samples taken were clear.

He's currently in a tortoise table whilst his outdoor enclosure is being built, he weighs 69g and is 7cm.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

Firstly, torts don't get colds, they have respiratory problems in response to something in the habitat.RNS is a symptom, not a disease, it just means he has a runny nose. The fact you've had him since December doesn't mean he wasn't harbouring something when you got him, some stressful event us all it needs for illness yo surface, hence bring careful where you buy from. I'm assuming he's an import! If so he will have been in contact with others. I very much doubt a tortoise would willingly take food with baytril on, it's very bitter and would be a bit hit and miss yo be sure of the amount. Most vets inject it. I'm hoping the vet told you the importance of temperatures during the time he's on antibiotics. This is where a Viv can come in handy. If he doesn't need it, then it could cause him more stress, so you're between a rock and a hard place really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users