Facebook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I have two children, both girls (aged 12 years and 18mths)
    I am an A and E nurse in Manchester and love every minute of it.

Love camping, cycling and anything fun and exciting.

We have two cats, Marilyn and Jimmy and now our new addition Hank the tortoise!

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

Is there a Facebook group?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

Hi, yes there is here you go.  https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarks  :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

I do find this forum better for advice, but the face book group is good as well. :)

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

I find Facebook groups a bit overpowering and clickey. Lots of people treating torts like babies and puppies and getting annoyed when it's pointed out that this can be stressful. Not the place for me I'm afraid, I was probably a tort in a previous life lol

#5 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

Some groups are better than others but I generally get important advice here, fb is OK for chat butlots of different opinions, not always from people who know their stuff as well as sue and Karen do.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

What I find most upsetting, is not just the fact that people disagree or refuse to see what they may doing wrong, but the way they think they can change what torts have evolved to do overnight. Whether torts are babies or adults, their needs are still the same as they have evolved over millions of years. To see them kept in ways that a cold blooded reptile cannot possibly adapt to is so sad. Vets must be raking it in sadly. My torts aren't perfect by a long shot, the majority being rescues, but if they had carried on as they were I doubt they would be alive now. Love my little prehistoric shelled friends :)

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:57 AM

Some groups are better than others but I generally get important advice here, fb is OK for chat butlots of different opinions, not always from people who know their stuff as well as sue and Karen do.

There's one or two that are ok, but a lot that give really bad information out, they don't seem to want their tortoises to live how tortoises should which is as natural as we can give them, it's sad really because new owners will look on these groups and think it's fine to keep them this way, at the end of the day anyone can start up a face book tortoise group it doesn't mean they have the knowledge to go with it, but these days face book seems the way to go. :wink:

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

There's one or two that are ok, but a lot that give really bad information out, they don't seem to want their tortoises to live how tortoises should which is as natural as we can give them, it's sad really because new owners will look on these groups and think it's fine to keep them this way, at the end of the day anyone can start up a face book tortoise group it doesn't mean they have the knowledge to go with it, but these days face book seems the way to go. :wink:

Yes sadly it's taken over most of the established groups. I think it's easier for people to say what they like, after all FB doesn't care what is right or wrong. Our local conservation group started a FB page, which seemed to go ok to start with, but is now going down the slippy slope sadly

Grrrrr, wish I could get emoticons to show up, it helps so much to personalise things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users