9 replies to this topic

#1 Bumble

Bumble

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

Hello and help please.
I let Bumble my 5yr old Hermann out in the garden on Thursday and was checking on him but when I went to bring him in he was gone.
He was in a fenced area of the garden but the little gate was open so he had access to the whole garden and may have gone under the main gate. But not sure if he would have fitted hard to see size of gap to tort.
I have looked in the garden, put up posters and asked the neighbours, notified vets and petlog (he's microchipped)
What else can I do, everyone I ask says they haven't seen him but they haven't offered/seemed keen on letting me look.
I've been out every day hoping he will just be wandering around on some grass.
He's only been outside a few times and I'm really worried about him :-( there are so many dangers out there.
Any ideas on what else I can do? How far could he have gone?
I'm in Gillingham, Dorset if and one hears of one being found.
Thank you

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:26 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry it's not under better circumstances, there's a big chance your tortoise has dug down some where in the garden, do you have soil/ planted areas in the garden, if so that's where I would start looking, try near plants first as they like to dig down near the roots, you would be best getting down on your hands and knees and search the soil, most of the time you can't even see where they've dug down, also keep an eye when the sun's out in the garden in case he appears when it's warmed up, please keep us updated best of luck. :)

#3 Bumble

Bumble

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

Thank you.
Yes wish it was under better circumstances.
We do have raised beds around the grass area he was in, some built up with stone and some with board.
Also outside of his part there was a concrete slab which was could have served as a ramp upto the beds.
How deep do I look?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

If it's been quite cool over night he could have dug down quite a bit, keep checking through the day as it warms up, will your neighbours not let you look in their gardens for him as well. :)

#5 Bumble

Bumble

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi.
Just found him. :-) :-) and now I can breathe again!
We turned garden upside down yest.
Been out this morning Just dug mud n pulled plants up and had given up.
So just though I move old twigs behind pots on patio and there he was. Never thought he could squeeze past them!!
Freezing cold n asleep.
So relieved he's go a few tiny shell scratches where he been adventuring but other than that visually ok. Vets tomorrow.
What can I do for him now?
I've put him back in his viv (I know bad viv but we are in process of making him a tortoise table :-))

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:41 AM

Hi.
Just found him. :-) :-) and now I can breathe again!
We turned garden upside down yest.
Been out this morning Just dug mud n pulled plants up and had given up.
So just though I move old twigs behind pots on patio and there he was. Never thought he could squeeze past them!!
Freezing cold n asleep.
So relieved he's go a few tiny shell scratches where he been adventuring but other than that visually ok. Vets tomorrow.
What can I do for him now?
I've put him back in his viv (I know bad viv but we are in process of making him a tortoise table :-))

Brilliant, they get into places you wouldn't think they would, just warm him up and give him a nice soak he'll be fine. :)

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

That's great news, I'm so pleased 😀

#8 Bumble

Bumble

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thank you.
I've given him a bath/soak, cleaned his viv etc and given him his breakfast :-)
So relieved to have him back the worry of him being out in the big wide world. my son is going to be so happy to see him he's only 21 mths n loves him. And good thing is I had him tested last wk for salmonella and he's clear so they can interact more. :-)
Best get the OH cracking on finishing his tortoise table too.
  • Rue likes this

#9 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

Glad to see that you have him back. As I started to read this thread I thought that there was a very good chance he was still in your garden and the further i read on, sure enough you found him.
last year a friend of mine was convinced they had lost their adult hermann. He's was go e for about a week. They have a smallish walled garden. I knew he was in there somewhere as sure enough found him hidding under a old pot. He had drug right underneath.
Just shows that you can't take your eyes of them for a minute (unless you have a secure pen). Just like kids I guess.

#10 Bumble

Bumble

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

Yeah you are right it was only an hr between being in garden and then coming back out to get him, gate open and he saw his chance lol. Other half may notice a few missing plants I pulled up in my search this morning lol.
Amazing for an animal so non flexible how they adventure. And they are definitely not slow!!!
Will be filling in every gap just incase his gate gets left open again! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users