• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michrob

Michrob

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

Hugo is 6 he is going outside for the first time this year, he has a little house but no heating , what should i put in it to keep him warm? we have a south facing.garden.we have made an enclosure for when we are out , but when home he has the run of the garden.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

Hi, you just need soil in there deep enough for him to dig into if he wants, could you not add heat to the enclosure as this would be better meaning he would be able to stay out all the time. :)

#3 Michrob

Michrob

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

its something we need to look at. we have only had him 10 weeks, think a baby is easier. is ok for him to be out side in may with no heat or should i bring him in? dont know what we would do without people like you to advise us. thank you.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

I agree with Karen. Moving them around usually results in not settling, as tortoises don't like change. Tortoises need to make their own decisions and will dig down at night to thermoregulate. Bringing them in at night means the ambient temperatures are higher overnight than in the day, which can be confusing for them, making them dig down for longer than needed in the day and sleeping above ground at night, which won't help future shell growth ;) hope this helps.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

its something we need to look at. we have only had him 10 weeks, think a baby is easier. is ok for him to be out side in may with no heat or should i bring him in? dont know what we would do without people like you to advise us. thank you.

At the minute it's still cold some nights and mornings so would be hard with out additional heat, it all depends on the weather and it's not been a brilliant start to the year. :)

#6 drewdibble

drewdibble

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

What kind of heating do people use in outside enclosures? I've got a tube heater (the shed / greenhouse type) - would that be suitable? 

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

A few use tube heaters for when temps drop low, you would also need a basking lamp as well though, I have a shed for mine it has two heat lamps in and a panel heater on a thermostat for lower temps, but mine live outside 24/7 all year. :)

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

What kind of heating do people use in outside enclosures? I've got a tube heater (the shed / greenhouse type) - would that be suitable?

I have tubular heaters for winter use to stop the air temps freezing but they are no use for summer when you need to warm the torts core temps, that only happens via basking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users