• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amaysin

amaysin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Introducing myself (Andy) and my imaginatively named tortoise, Herman.
Herman was hatched in 2008 so is about to turn eight.
I recently took him to the vets as he managed to rip out one of his front claws during a climbing expedition.

It looks as though there may be new nail growth, so given time will hopefully grow back.

The vet was very surprised that he was only 7/8 as he is apparently very big for that age. He is currently weighing in at about 1.8 kilos.
He has an overgrown beak that I’m trying to deal with by getting him to eat from a slate.
A visit back to the vets may be in the future to get the beak filed down if I don’t have any luck with the slate.

Attached Files

• Rue likes this

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

Introducing myself (Andy) and my imaginatively named tortoise, Herman.
Herman was hatched in 2008 so is about to turn eight.
I recently took him to the vets as he managed to rip out one of his front claws during a climbing expedition.

It looks as though there may be new nail growth, so given time will hopefully grow back.

The vet was very surprised that he was only 7/8 as he is apparently very big for that age. He is currently weighing in at about 1.8 kilos.
He has an overgrown beak that I’m trying to deal with by getting him to eat from a slate.
A visit back to the vets may be in the future to get the beak filed down if I don’t have any luck with the slate.

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. :)

Herman's beak is quite long and will probably need trimming, it's good to feed from slate and let them feed naturally on weeds and plants as this helps, but once it gets too long it would be quite hard to get it back down this way, what is it you feed him. :)

#3 amaysin

amaysin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hi Karen, thanks for the welcome.

When I first got him when he was 1.5 years old, he was being fed on komodo fruit and flower pellets.

I tried varying his diet with sweet gem lettuce, cucumber, lambs lettuce etc but the pellets were always also on offer.

When outside he eats plantain, dandelion, clover and other weeds that I haven't identified.

He also eats worms, ants and also has a particularly disgusting habit of eating cat poo that he finds.

I'm guessing the cat poo (which is normally dry and old) he's eating to get minerals.

He won't touch any food that I've tried putting nutrabol or similar on.

I've tried mineral blocks and cuttlefish shell but again shows no interest.

The vet did tell me to withdraw the pellets as it probably contains too much protein (which may account for his large size).

This is fairly easy to achieve this time of year, but when he's inside in the evening he stands by the food bowl that used to contain his pellets and stares at me. :unsure2:

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:01 AM

Hi Karen, thanks for the welcome.

When I first got him when he was 1.5 years old, he was being fed on komodo fruit and flower pellets.

I tried varying his diet with sweet gem lettuce, cucumber, lambs lettuce etc but the pellets were always also on offer.

When outside he eats plantain, dandelion, clover and other weeds that I haven't identified.

He also eats worms, ants and also has a particularly disgusting habit of eating cat poo that he finds.

I'm guessing the cat poo (which is normally dry and old) he's eating to get minerals.

He won't touch any food that I've tried putting nutrabol or similar on.

I've tried mineral blocks and cuttlefish shell but again shows no interest.

The vet did tell me to withdraw the pellets as it probably contains too much protein (which may account for his large size).

This is fairly easy to achieve this time of year, but when he's inside in the evening he stands by the food bowl that used to contain his pellets and stares at me. :unsure2:

Hi Andy,

Yes those awful pellets will have added to his fast growth which really isn't healthy for him, I would stop feeding them from now if I were you, it's one of them situations where if you don't feed them he can't eat them, just offer natural food every day nothing else and he'll soon come around mind you they can be stubborn but if he's eating weeds when he's outside then he doesn't need any thing extra, when he's not outside only offer him weeds and nothing else, you could get Nekton MSA to go on his food I've found my lot have it a lot better than they did Nutrobal, I've been using this for years you can buy it from Amazon you only need a small tub. :)

#5 amaysin

amaysin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Hi Karen,

He most certainly can be stubborn. His pellets have been consigned to the bin, so I'll have to put up with his begging until he can forget and move on!

Thanks for the Nekton MSA recommendation. I ordered some the other day after reading your post and its just turned up.

I'll see how we get on with that over the weekend!

I'll get the visit to the Vets organised for a beak trim. Do you have any experience of beak trimming?

Just wondering whether the vet will attempt to file or use clippers to trim the beak and how traumatic the experience is likely to be?

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

Make sure your vet is experienced with tortoises and not just guessing. There have been some pics shown of awful bungles in the past. Your vet should know to hold the neck and not the head and will clip away the bulk of it quickly. This will be roughly mid way between his nostrils and the end. He will then file the clipped edges so it fits in line with the bottom jaw. If done efficiently it will take a minute or maybe two and tort will be fine afterwards :) He will be able to eat more easily so don't forget to restrict his food. Spreading it around for him and not using a dish will make it a more natural experience. Good luck :)

#7 amaysin

amaysin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Apologies for taking so long to reply, I think the website had issues when I last tried to reply.

Herman has been to the vets to have his beak filed.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show the result.

The vet had wanted to file it down more, but he started to put up a fight so gave up trying to file it anymore.

Much improved than before and hes eating without pushing his food out of the way with his beak.

The Nekton MSA powder seems to be agreeable with him, first powdered minerals that he doesn't turn his nose up at!

Attached Files

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

Hi Andy,

Yes we did have a couple of problems before with the forum but it's all sorted now, and good to see you back. :)

Herman is lovely, how's the feeding going with the weed diet, it's good to hear he's eating the Nekton msa I found it a lot better, his beaks looking a lot better now. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users