• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vini_laura

vini_laura

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

I currently live in a flat so my 10 month old Hermanns is living inside in a tortoise table. I have a big balcony and was thinking about getting a large rabbit cage to put outside since the weather has been so nice recently. I've read that UVB is not absorbed through glass so it's not really ideal but at least it gets him outside during the day for some natural light and heat. My balcony has glass panels, and since it gets direct sun for most of the day, I'm concerned that (when it's REALLY hot) that the heat from the sun might melt the cage through the glass? Can anyone advise me on this please?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hi Laura,

Rabbit cages work well for hatchlings to go out side in the right environment, do you have a picture of your balcony so we can get a better idea of it, is the flat only temporary as tortoises really need an outside enclosure to get natural uv from day one really, they don't do well living indoors 24/7. :)

#3 vini_laura

vini_laura

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi there. Yes the flat is temporary but we are not sure for how long yet.

I've attached a photo of the balcony, I was thinking of putting the rabbit cage length ways against the door at the back, we don't use that one as there is one at the opposite end. There is shelter from the balcony above and due to the position it would also be sheltered from any wind.

Thank you for your help :)

Attached Files

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hi Laura,

That should work ok as a temporary enclosure, but not for long term as they do need natural uv as well. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users