Newbie - Introducing Myself

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hi there,

My name is Sabina from London. I am a newbie and will get two Hermann babies at the end of August 2016. They will be approx 1 year old and they are Sue's hatchlings.

I have been reading about Hermann tortoises for about 4 months now. At the moment I am preparing everything for their arrival  - indoor enclosure that i can put outside and back, UV/heat lamps, substrates, carex plants, drift wood pieces, pebblestones in etc, growing the Tort Lady's seeds, also i bought the Tort's lady book to identify the weeds that they can eat and which grow in the UK.

Also in spring 2017 when they wake up from hibernation, they will have an outdoor enclosure with access to shelter that can be heating, a sun room etc. I was thinking of building an outdoor enclosure which is dug in the ground so that the tip of the top of the fence is actually at ground level, if it makes sense.

I am telling you this is a lot of planning  :)

I have a a couple of questions:

Re the indoor enclosure that can be put outside. If i assess it ti better to leave them overnight outside because inside it it warmer at night that outside, would they need a ceramic heater on and heat lamp on in the morning to get them going?

Re preserving hydration: For the indoor enclosure i will use top soil under the megaray UV/heat lamp and coconut coir in the remaining enclosure. I read in this forum how to water the substrate etc. Also this substrate will encourage the babies to dig themselves down. As I would like to provide some humidity huts, do you think small coco basket liners that I humidify would be suitable, like this one? http://www.ebay.co.u...1UML-sCtTWBuWRw

I look forward to receiving your comments.

Thank you

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

Morning Sabina, welcome to the forum. :)

Sue's babies are lovely you wont go wrong with her advice, it sounds like you've been doing your research and getting every thing in place for your new hatchlings. :)

Leaving hatchlings out over night depends on night time temperatures, we've had some nice warm days but the night time temperatures have still fallen quite low and with you not getting the babies till the end of August once into September the temps can be the same so it might be best to wait until next year when you have a more permanent outside enclosure with heat.

I've not used the hanging basket liners myself as I don't have any hides in my hatchlings table, I just have deep substrate that they dig down into over night, I have carex grass planted in there and I find a lot of the babies dig down under that to sleep. :)

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Welcome to Shanti and Namaste

Hello,

Further to my first intro back in June 2016 I am pleased to introduce you to two gorgeous 1 year old Hermann babies. They were hatchlings from Sue – THANK YOU SO MUCH SUE !!!!

Their names are in Sanskrit. Shanti means "Peace", Namaste means "Not about me but you".

They arrived on 21st August and it seems that they are settling well. So far normal behavior - eating, running around to explore, bury themselves to sleep, thinking that my fingers are food  :)  :)  :)  

Here are some photos of them and their enclosure

Below in the picture of them - Namaste ( on left) and Shanti (on right, slightly bigger)

I keep watching them, they are fascinating!

Sabina

Attached Files

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi Sabina,
Their both gorgeous, and I love the names,you can spend all day watching them.
Please keep us updated on how their both doing x

#5 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Another couple of pictures... working hard to munch!!!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users