2 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

we are going to Ireland on holiday for a week and finding it difficult for anyone to look after Buttercup. She lives outside in a secure pen with an unheated, insulated small house attached which she goes into at night. Am i ok to leave her alone for a week with maybe the neighbours children popping in to check shes not fallen over (not something she tends to do). How can i provide her with a weeks supply of food? what plants can i provide. ? we recently moved so her garden is not very lush with weeds yet. She is 10 years old

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

we are going to Ireland on holiday for a week and finding it difficult for anyone to look after Buttercup. She lives outside in a secure pen with an unheated, insulated small house attached which she goes into at night. Am i ok to leave her alone for a week with maybe the neighbours children popping in to check shes not fallen over (not something she tends to do). How can i provide her with a weeks supply of food? what plants can i provide. ? we recently moved so her garden is not very lush with weeds yet. She is 10 years old

Hi Wendy,

This is not some thing I would do to be truthful, if it was the children's parents checking morning and night then maybe, because at the minute the weathers so unpredictable and we've had a lot of rain I just don't feel children are responsible enough. :wink:

If you can get some thing arranged then you could go on a weed walk and collect quite a few weeds, if you wash them they can then be stored in a container in the fridge these will last quite a bit even the week, hope that helps. :)

#3 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

I'm in a similar situation, an adult neighbour pops in night and morning to check on her. I have a patch of growing safe plants, but the first time I left portion controlled daily food in margarine tubs, he kept them cool. I also left weed pictures, (tort plant addicts) so he could give growing leaves if he saw them. I have next door's kids on standby but really it's their parents who are responsible for supervising this. Make sure they are aware not to broadcast that the tortoises is there to their friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users