Outdoor Questions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I have two children, both girls (aged 12 years and 18mths)
    I am an A and E nurse in Manchester and love every minute of it.

Love camping, cycling and anything fun and exciting.

We have two cats, Marilyn and Jimmy and now our new addition Hank the tortoise!

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

Oh wow! That enclosure is massive!! I'm becoming really disheartened that I'm getting this wrong and it's not going to work.
My outdoor space looks so small compared to yours. I know it takes time to build it up and I need to build up his walls so he is protected. I won't ever have that size space for him though. Have I done the wrong thing here?

The dog kennel is quite big and high enough for the heater. I was going to put this on a thermostat timer type thing.

Sorry I'm stressing now! x

#22 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Oh wow! That enclosure is massive!! I'm becoming really disheartened that I'm getting this wrong and it's not going to work.
My outdoor space looks so small compared to yours. I know it takes time to build it up and I need to build up his walls so he is protected. I won't ever have that size space for him though. Have I done the wrong thing here?

The dog kennel is quite big and high enough for the heater. I was going to put this on a thermostat timer type thing.

Sorry I'm stressing now! x

Hi Jenny,

Don't get disheartened that's not what im trying to do just help, you don't need any thing as big as mine it was just to give you ideas that was all. :)

All im trying to say is to make the enclosure escape proof and just as big as you can with plenty of plants in there it will be fine, at the minute you've done a great job with him. :)

#23 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi, no it wasn't that, I just want to get it right. I do appreciate your advise. I am just a stress head about tortoise enclosures it seems lol.

I will keep plodding on xxx

#24 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

How's the enclosure coming on Jenny, hopefully your having better weather than I am, I need some :sun:

#25 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

It's just rain and more rain! 😞
We still need to do the electrics but that's it finished. We have a day off together next week so going to look at it then. I have managed to extend it out a bit further and secure the sides.

How long have I got before he needs to start thinking about hibernating?

#26 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

It's just rain and more rain!
We still need to do the electrics but that's it finished. We have a day off together next week so going to look at it then. I have managed to extend it out a bit further and secure the sides.

How long have I got before he needs to start thinking about hibernating?

Hi Jen,

Hibernation is more October/November time when wind down starts, but it's been known of some tortoises digging down in the garden in September and not coming up till Spring with the owners not knowing where they dug down. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users