• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniella and Betsy

Daniella and Betsy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hi I was hoping for some advice on my Hermanns Betsy 🐢 She hatched 05/06/2015 and is as far as I know is happy, she constantly wanders round her table all day she is very active, climbing and clambering over rocks in and out of her water. However she has been gaining quite a bit of weight and I'm really worried I have caused too much growth in her.

SCL is currently 8cm and she weighs 136g I got her in November last year and she 69g and 7.4cm

Is this too much weight gain in a tortoise so young?

It's been quite sporadic, some months it will be 2-3G others a lot more! And I can't figure out why :-(

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I have attached a few pictures of her.

Attached File  image.jpeg   64.5KB   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   72.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   58.83KB   0 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

Hi Dani, welcome to the forum. :)

At a year old that is really big, to give you an idea I have two year old that are about 80g she was a good weight when you got her and it does need to be slowed down, did you get her from a pet shop or breeder, what food are you feeding her also how much and how often :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

In a nutshell Daniella, she is vastly overweight and I'm unsure how she's managed to gain so much if fed on a natural diet. My own babies of the same age are between 25 and 35 grams. To be honest they can only gain so much by being overfed. It doesn't happen on its own. I give my babies new owners weight charts to fill in, so if they gain too much they can see where they are going wrong. Remember in the wild a tortoise will walk a long way to find a leaf and then as far again to find another one. Your tortoise shows wide lines of growth so I would cut back on what you are feeding. Are you sure your scales are OK as 136 grams seems a lot for 8cm scl?

#4 Daniella and Betsy

Daniella and Betsy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thank you for your replies

I got her from a uk breeder and fed her once a day on a mixture of the following
Dandelion
Bindweed
Forget me not
Lambs lettuce
Red chard
Plantain

Sprinkled daily with a small amount of nutrobal

I know now that the portions were too large for her once I realised the weight gain was too quick I tried feeding her every other day, however on the no food days I find her digging and eating the coco coir substrate which obviously tugs at the heart strings, I know she relates me and my voice with food and it's hard watching her search for food that's not there.

I did use to put all her food in one place so she didn't have to work for it, I do now feed her ALOT less and spread it around her enclosure so she has to go looking for it, however this still does not take her very long!

She is a very active tortoise and loves scrambling and climbing all over her enclosure, she poops and pees regularly and I bath her every other day. When I put fresh water down she often sits in there and bathes herself.

I guess my main question is, will she be able to lose the weight healthily? What's my best course of action I want to be a good tortoise owner but feel awful that I've done this to her.

Any help greatly appreciated

Dani

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:42 AM

Thank you for your replies

I got her from a uk breeder and fed her once a day on a mixture of the following
Dandelion
Bindweed
Forget me not
Lambs lettuce
Red chard
Plantain

Sprinkled daily with a small amount of nutrobal

I know now that the portions were too large for her once I realised the weight gain was too quick I tried feeding her every other day, however on the no food days I find her digging and eating the coco coir substrate which obviously tugs at the heart strings, I know she relates me and my voice with food and it's hard watching her search for food that's not there.

I did use to put all her food in one place so she didn't have to work for it, I do now feed her ALOT less and spread it around her enclosure so she has to go looking for it, however this still does not take her very long!

She is a very active tortoise and loves scrambling and climbing all over her enclosure, she poops and pees regularly and I bath her every other day. When I put fresh water down she often sits in there and bathes herself.

I guess my main question is, will she be able to lose the weight healthily? What's my best course of action I want to be a good tortoise owner but feel awful that I've done this to her.

Any help greatly appreciated

Dani

Hi Dani,

Do you have a picture of her so we can see the growth, I would still feed daily but only a small amount one good sized leaf will do just feed different leaves each day and you could also add a couple of flowers in for variety, the fast growth she's already had you can't change but you can slow down the new growth in the future, it's best to weigh her each month and just keep a record of it this way you can keep a check on how much she's gaining and adjust her food accordingly hope that helps. :)

#6 Daniella and Betsy

Daniella and Betsy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

Hi Karen
Thank you for your advice, there are pictures of her in my original post, can you see that or should I post them again?

Many Thanks
Dani X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users