• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 animallover53

animallover53

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hi everyone. I already have a tortoise enclosure but I've had nothing but problems with it. I was thinking about moving it outside and using it next summer when Beans is old enough to spend a good chunk of the summer outside (he'll be a year old in October. I live in Southwestern Canada which means he can't be outside the majority of the time).

I was thinking something like the picture below, completely made of wood. The angled part would be a door made of chicken wire to allow air in and access to him. I need most of this thing covered because of my cats. They will mess with him otherwise and I can't close the room and lock them out. I also want the flat part at the top to hang my lights from, as I have a strip setup.

Would this be okay? I know it isn't a great picture. I was planning on doing 2x7 since that's the biggest my room allows (that's the size of his enclosure now and it touches both walls. It spans the entire room).

I would obviously seal the inside and I'd like to stain/paint the outside to match my room. Can I use any stain/paint on the OUTSIDE as long as it's allowed to dry completely?

566d3aa2532c32bd34158d1daf583721_zpscd25

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hi everyone. I already have a tortoise enclosure but I've had nothing but problems with it. I was thinking about moving it outside and using it next summer when Beans is old enough to spend a good chunk of the summer outside (he'll be a year old in October. I live in Southwestern Canada which means he can't be outside the majority of the time).

I was thinking something like the picture below, completely made of wood. The angled part would be a door made of chicken wire to allow air in and access to him. I need most of this thing covered because of my cats. They will mess with him otherwise and I can't close the room and lock them out. I also want the flat part at the top to hang my lights from, as I have a strip setup.

Would this be okay? I know it isn't a great picture. I was planning on doing 2x7 since that's the biggest my room allows (that's the size of his enclosure now and it touches both walls. It spans the entire room).

I would obviously seal the inside and I'd like to stain/paint the outside to match my room. Can I use any stain/paint on the OUTSIDE as long as it's allowed to dry completely?

566d3aa2532c32bd34158d1daf583721_zpscd25

Hi,

What is wrong with the set up you have now, I think this is a little enclosed even though your putting mesh in, the more air flow the better and better temperatures as they do need a cooler part of the table to choose if they want too. :)

As for stain/ paint it should state if it's animal friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users