1 reply to this topic

#1 ~Gusarita*1213

~Gusarita*1213

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

Hello!

I have a 4-year-old Hermann's tortoise and a 4-year-old Golden Greek tortoise, which are currently housed in an indoor enclosure. I am planning on building them an outdoor enclosure as soon as possible, but I have a few questions. :)

We live in the Sierra Nevada Foothills in California, USA. During a Summer heat wave, the hottest it can get is 105o F, and in the Winter, the coldest it can get is  20o F. I would keep them indoor during the Winter months (and they will be hibernating soon), but during the Summer, if I provide shade, water, and moisture, could they stay outdoors? And should I keep them outside only from May to October? 

Also, the area we live in is home to predators such as raccoons, rats, etc.; I will take special care to ensure that their enclosure is very secure, but the area I am hoping to use is 96 feet from our house. Is this too far away?

Any suggestions before this is built would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hi there. Firstly you should not house two different species together as their adult behaviours are very different and can cause serious injury when they mature. Also they carry different pathogens which can harm each other's immune systems. They will stay outdoors quite happily in summer, but will need additional heat in the mornings to get them going depending on the amount of sunlight you get. You need to have them indoors winding down for hibernation once there is a danger of frost and the same when they wake in the spring. Yes protect from predators as a raccoon or rat would be a real danger to them. It doesn't matter how far from the house it is but you would really need an electric supply for times when the temps are low.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Outdoor Enclosures, New Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users