• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi . My tortoise petal has put on some Wight but I have noticed she is only eating on hot days even if I hand feed her and this has become a problem because it has been a bad summer and not many nice days so she hasn't been eating . I have taken her to a reptile speshlist vet and he gave her a injection to help her eat more. But as the weather has been not nice and she isn't eating again . Any ideas on tempting foods she seems to like red foods and the vet said a little strawberry to tempt was ok which now isn't working as well, my other tortoise eats everything in all weathers. Thanks in advance

Lance 😃

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hi . My tortoise petal has put on some Wight but I have noticed she is only eating on hot days even if I hand feed her and this has become a problem because it has been a bad summer and not many nice days so she hasn't been eating . I have taken her to a reptile speshlist vet and he gave her a injection to help her eat more. But as the weather has been not nice and she isn't eating again . Any ideas on tempting foods she seems to like red foods and the vet said a little strawberry to tempt was ok which now isn't working as well, my other tortoise eats everything in all weathers. Thanks in advance

Lance

Hi Lance, when the weathers not so good where is it she's kept, do you have a heat lamp for her, if so what temperatures are you getting, what was the injection the vet gave her. :)

#3 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

She lives in a out door house with a descent sized nest box. The temperature has been from 18 to 20 with a few hotter days out side. At the moment she is indoors because it helps her eat. My lamps bulb has gone so waiting for new one to arrive. Not saw what the injection was but I know it was to help her start to eat more.

Lance

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hi Lance. There are no injections for tortoises to help appetite. If your vet has injected vitamins I would be very wary of using him for tortoises again as this has found to be ineffective many years ago. Your temps are far too low as torts need a core temp of 30 degrees to be able to digest food. Without correct heat they will start to go downhill very quickly I'm afraid. Do you just have the one enclosure for both of your species?

#5 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

I ceep my Hermann tortoises outdoors but I have been bringing petal the one that is not eating much indoors and got a new basking lamp for her . She has been eating on her own now but still not that much . I only have one species of tortoise both of them are Hermann tortoises .but I'm going to have a baby Marginated tortoise on the 25 of July but have made a tortoise table for it and basking lamp set up .

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

Hi Lance,

Is she eating any better now the weathers picked up. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users