• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Hi I have 2 hermanni babies the first is coming up to 1 year and the other will be 1 in September. The older tortoise seems to be bullying the smaller one and she hasn't gained any weight since I got her from the breeder in April which is worrying. In fact she has lost 2 g. I have checked the temps which are fine and trying to feed them separately but the bigger tortoise keeps biting the smaller one. The smaller is 21g and the larger is 48g. The smaller baby was 23g when I got her.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

When you say bullying what is it the bigger tortoise is doing, I keep a few hatchlings together that are different sizes the smallest been 20g and the two year olds been more 80/90g and they seem fine. :)

What size set up do you have and are they going outside.

#3 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

Hi thanks for your reply. The bigger one is biting the smaller hatchling and actually standing on top of her. The main thing is the biting tho which seems to be getting worse and the smaller one isn't very active and is conatantly climbing the sides of the enclosure. We are on doing the outdoor enclosure now so they will be outside soon and that's alot bigger than my indoor enclosure, as with her not gaining I was advised to hold off putting her outside as the change may set her back further. My indoor enclosure is 100 cm x 50 cm it's an indoor rabbit cage with the plastic bottom. Thanks Amanda

#4 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hi I have two tortoises one is bigger than the other .They climb on one and other but they don't seem to mined each other doing it.Some times they bite at each other but get along after and they don't get violent. They have 60 g different in Wight roughly.I feed them by putting food in different parts of the enclosure so it means both have there far share and it means they have to find it too, this might not be the right thing to do and I would listen to Karen more than me.

Hope this is of use to you and yore tortoises Lance

#5 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hi thanks for your reply. The main concern I have is that the smaller one hasn't gained any weight at all since I got her and in fact has lost 2 g. The bigger tortoise is constantly at her biting her legs face and shell and although I also scatter their food the bigger one eats very quickly then when the smaller one goes to get some food the bigger one goes straight over and takes whatever she is eating and eats it as fast as she can if that makes sense. It seems to be worsening and the smaller tort is constantly pacing down the side of the enclosure.

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

Hi thanks for your reply. The main concern I have is that the smaller one hasn't gained any weight at all since I got her and in fact has lost 2 g. The bigger tortoise is constantly at her biting her legs face and shell and although I also scatter their food the bigger one eats very quickly then when the smaller one goes to get some food the bigger one goes straight over and takes whatever she is eating and eats it as fast as she can if that makes sense. It seems to be worsening and the smaller tort is constantly pacing down the side of the enclosure.

You might have to try putting the bigger one outside sooner rather than later, in the mean time you could bath them separate so the smaller one is in the enclosure on it's own for some time to eat, if it does carry on then you might need to think about separate enclosures for them, normally hatchlings get on fine as they have been in a group from the day they hatch, problems don't often occur till their older, is it just at feeding time the bigger one is biting. :)

#7 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Thanks, I do already bath them separately to try and allow her to eat on her own but she doesn't seem to bother. I will definitely have the outdoor enclosure finished for the weekend so will see what happens then. Its not just at feeding times the biting its whenever they are near each other in the enclosure. I don't understand why it's happening. Tiddles the bigger one just won't leave the smaller one alone for some reason. I have also wormed them to make sure this isn't why she has lost weight.

#8 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Hi just an update, im going to go and get some extra things today to make up another enclosure so I can separate the 2 of them. Obviously as soon as the outdoor enclosure is complete I will put Tiddles out there but until then will it be ok to put him outside during the day then in the outhouse during the night or will he be best out all of the time?
Thanks

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Hi just an update, im going to go and get some extra things today to make up another enclosure so I can separate the 2 of them. Obviously as soon as the outdoor enclosure is complete I will put Tiddles out there but until then will it be ok to put him outside during the day then in the outhouse during the night or will he be best out all of the time?
Thanks

Hi that's good to hear, you should start to see a difference in the little one. :)

#10 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

I hope so. I have separated them now much to Tiddles disgust. Tiddles was really bad biting constantly today for some reason. I'm hoping once the little one gains a bit she might be ok outside with Tiddles.

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:17 AM

How are things now. :)

#12 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:01 AM

Hi I separated them for a couple of days, the outdoor enclosure is just about ready but I put Tiddles back in on Fri to see if he had settled a bit and they seem fine together now. The baby has also gained weight, she was 25 yesterday which is the heaviest she has weighed so far. I'm going to get Tiddles outside either today or tomorrow at the latest but I will keep the little one in a while longer until I'm happy she is happy. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users