• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kylalk

kylalk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:26 PM

I have been given 4 tortoises 3 female and one male aged 15,13,7 and 7.  They were living in a vivarium but I have now built a pen in the garden for them, they have always been fed on pellet food which I am slowly trying to change but they are not to happy about it.  What should I put in the pen outside, I have covered half of it with coraflex for shelter and also given then an adapted rabbit hutch to sleep in.  They have a large shallow tray with water in but they dont go near it,  I have started planting edible plants, also some small bushes that they like to hide under when sunny, also some chippings and paving slabs, they have tunnels and large stones to climb on and a soil mound.  One of the females layed 8 eggs 4 days after she went outside which are now in an incubator.  I have a small heat bulb in the hutch which comes on at night just for a little extra heat, do they need a basking lamp in the pen.  What else do they need and how can I get then to eat weeds and greens as they dont seem interested in them.  Do they need anything else.

My next problem is these torts have never been hibernated so should I start doing it and how do I go about it.

Any tip and advice would be great as really struggling to find information without contradiction on the internet, they are all hermans

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:57 AM

I have been given 4 tortoises 3 female and one male aged 15,13,7 and 7.  They were living in a vivarium but I have now built a pen in the garden for them, they have always been fed on pellet food which I am slowly trying to change but they are not to happy about it.  What should I put in the pen outside, I have covered half of it with coraflex for shelter and also given then an adapted rabbit hutch to sleep in.  They have a large shallow tray with water in but they dont go near it,  I have started planting edible plants, also some small bushes that they like to hide under when sunny, also some chippings and paving slabs, they have tunnels and large stones to climb on and a soil mound.  One of the females layed 8 eggs 4 days after she went outside which are now in an incubator.  I have a small heat bulb in the hutch which comes on at night just for a little extra heat, do they need a basking lamp in the pen.  What else do they need and how can I get then to eat weeds and greens as they dont seem interested in them.  Do they need anything else.

My next problem is these torts have never been hibernated so should I start doing it and how do I go about it.

Any tip and advice would be great as really struggling to find information without contradiction on the internet, they are all hermans

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

It's really good to hear their out of the vivarium and now living outside they will thank you for that, they don't need the heat bulb over night especially if it gives off light as they need a drop in temperature and it to be dark over night as this is more natural, if back ground heat is needed over night a tube heater on a thermostat would work better, a basking lamp is needed in the enclosure as up to now it's been a really poor summer and this weeks going to be nice but it might not last.

The best diet for them is weeds, plants and flowers nothing else so no fruit of veg added the only way to get them off those awful pellets is to stop feeding them completely and just offer weeds they are stubborn and wont eat them straight away but they will in time just don't give in and feed the pellets.

I would think about hibernation as I feel it's a lot better for them, but you could maybe look at that next year with you just getting them as this will give you more time to get to know them and make sure their healthy enough, when the time comes we can help with hibernation you would need some where to over winter them though hope that helps, we look forward to seeing pictures of them and their set up. :)

#3 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of useful information here. I
would suggest that you take sometime reading the old threads on the forum. You will find good information related to your questions.
Do you have any photo's or the tortoises and outside pen? Always nice to see other people's pictures.

#4 kylalk

kylalk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

Hi

thanks for your replies, I will try and post some pictures, I have read somewhere that they need to be micro chipped is this true, I have booked a vet check next week for them all so could get them chipped at the same time I do have all the paperwork for them.  I have a red bulb for night times but they can move away from it as I dont shut the hutch door and I have found that 2 now prefer to stay outside even at night during the hot weather should I let them.  I have just got a D3 basking light with UVA and UVB for the enclosure going to fit it this week even with hot temps. 

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:58 AM

Hi

thanks for your replies, I will try and post some pictures, I have read somewhere that they need to be micro chipped is this true, I have booked a vet check next week for them all so could get them chipped at the same time I do have all the paperwork for them.  I have a red bulb for night times but they can move away from it as I dont shut the hutch door and I have found that 2 now prefer to stay outside even at night during the hot weather should I let them.  I have just got a D3 basking light with UVA and UVB for the enclosure going to fit it this week even with hot temps. 

Hi,

Yes it's true they need to be micro chipped and the papers updated into your name only if you plan on selling them or selling hatchlings from them which also you would need to apply for papers for the hatchlings if you were to sell them, hatchlings also need micro chipping when their over 60mm which I believe is way to small but there the rules, you can sell them under 60mm with papers and no chip.

Their fine sleeping outside in this weather as long as there's no risk from any predators, basking lamps are good for first thing on a morning to get them going and if the weather changes a bit it means they can stay out side longer. :)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Hi

They don't need chips just for you to keep them, but they do if you sell them or breed from them, depending on species. What species are they? You don't need a bulb at night time as they need a drop in temps (no sun in the wild at night). You also don't need uv outdoors as the sun dies this for them. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users