Nearly There!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I have two children, both girls (aged 12 years and 18mths)
    I am an A and E nurse in Manchester and love every minute of it.

Love camping, cycling and anything fun and exciting.

We have two cats, Marilyn and Jimmy and now our new addition Hank the tortoise!

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Hi everyone, just giving you a quick update on Hank's outdoor home.

We just need to connect the heater inside the house to the electrics and put a basking lamp in somewhere.

We have extended out as much as we can for this year. Please let me know what you think, all tips and tricks welcome 😊

Hank has tried it out today as it's so warm outside and he seems very happy.

Attached Files

#2 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

It looks really great so far. Just watch that he can't climb out, maybe wall just looks low in photo. You may need to put some net over if you have rooks in the garden or even visiting foxes.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone, just giving you a quick update on Hank's outdoor home.

We just need to connect the heater inside the house to the electrics and put a basking lamp in somewhere.

We have extended out as much as we can for this year. Please let me know what you think, all tips and tricks welcome

Hank has tried it out today as it's so warm outside and he seems very happy.

Hi Jenny,

He looks happy been outside im sure he's enjoying it and it's so much better for him. :)

I agree the side look low but could be the picture, their brilliant escape artists :lol: so keep an eye on him, what's best to do now is watch him out there and you will see how well it works or doesn't work and if any thing needs changing, you could add a few more plants and also add some weed seeds in there so the weeds grow for him. :)

#4 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I have two children, both girls (aged 12 years and 18mths)
    I am an A and E nurse in Manchester and love every minute of it.

Love camping, cycling and anything fun and exciting.

We have two cats, Marilyn and Jimmy and now our new addition Hank the tortoise!

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the wall might be too low, I've been looking for a fence to go around it.
I'm thinking of using a spotlight for the basking lamp and fixing it to the side of the wooden shelter area? Would this work?

Seed mix going in now. 🤗

Oh and do I need to put anything in the hide for him like soil or Moss?

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:31 AM

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the wall might be too low, I've been looking for a fence to go around it.
I'm thinking of using a spotlight for the basking lamp and fixing it to the side of the wooden shelter area? Would this work?

Seed mix going in now.

Oh and do I need to put anything in the hide for him like soil or Moss?

The basking lamp would work but just think of the fire risk make sure there's enough space for it, and yes I would add plenty of soil in the hide area these hides work well with the bottom out so they have deeper soil underneath which then still gives you the height in the shelter. :)

#6 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

[quote name="JenB" post="66642" timestamp="1469031942"]Thanks everyone. I was thinking the wall might be too low, I've been looking for a fence to go around it.

I've used outdoor security light, 75 watt halogen, it gives 32c ish at shell, using surface thermometer. I use it on cloudy days for a couple of hours, it's under a glass shower screen, but only put it on when I was there at first to check how safe it was. It got really warm at first so I had to adjust the height and only use on cooler days.

Attached Files

#7 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

Also use upturned wire hanging baskets to protect young plants from being devoured to the roots. Pegged down with tent pegs.
I agree with Karen, keep watching and solve problems as they occur. Move stones chunks of wood around to enable safe climbing, keep things away from edge to avoid escape.

Attached Files

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:57 PM

Also use upturned wire hanging baskets to protect young plants from being devoured to the roots. Pegged down with tent pegs.
I agree with Karen, keep watching and solve problems as they occur. Move stones chunks of wood around to enable safe climbing, keep things away from edge to avoid escape.

Plus lots of deep soil to dig in. You really need at least three quarters deep soil and a minimum of paving/rocky area ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users