• Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

It's about 50/50, the paving is easier for me to get in and sort her out, but yes I know more soil area would be better. Some of the photos are from last year when she 1st arrived, we've dug more up since then. At one point we were considering moving her somewhere else in the garden so we hung fire abit on lifting more paving but looks like she's staying there now so probably lift some more. She may eventually learn to dig!!! You know what it's like....constantly tweaking stuff to get it right!!

I'd say definitely rather than probably TBH and it's essential rather than better! They NEED hills and plants and deep soil to dig in. If access is difficult, then try adding gravel where she can still dig if need be. Concrete is really bad for them and can damage the plastron long term. I've rescued torts that have lost a lot of keratin due to this, which takes years to recover!

#22 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

It's about 50/50, the paving is easier for me to get in and sort her out, but yes I know more soil area would be better. Some of the photos are from last year when she 1st arrived, we've dug more up since then. At one point we were considering moving her somewhere else in the garden so we hung fire abit on lifting more paving but looks like she's staying there now so probably lift some more. She may eventually learn to dig!!! You know what it's like....constantly tweaking stuff to get it right!!

It would be better for her to be all soil, and that's what's important, as Sue has said you could add some slate chippings in an area of the enclosure, I would add plenty of soil hills and large rocks with plenty of plants for her this will make it more interesting and more natural, with mine I did most of the work while they were hibernating so it was already for them in the spring but I had just moved house, firstly I would try and move the paving's this will make a big difference, were here to help if you need it. :)

#23 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

Ok. I'll get on with it..........
Update..... More paving lifted. Anyone need any paving stones ha ha.
When i realised the reason for it it made more sense. She walks on tip toe most of the time, so clearing the ground by a cm ish. I'll do the bigger ones over winter, and cover with topsoil in the meantime.

#24 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Ok. I'll get on with it..........
Update..... More paving lifted. Anyone need any paving stones ha ha.
When i realised the reason for it it made more sense. She walks on tip toe most of the time, so clearing the ground by a cm ish. I'll do the bigger ones over winter, and cover with topsoil in the meantime.

That's great, she will thank you for the changes to her enclosure, I look forward to seeing pictures. :)

#25 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:16 AM

She's got plants, hills, logs, stones,. Lots of adventures to be had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users